2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a little disgruntled as a fan today. Qualls, who is usually fairly reliable, gives up the three run shot to tie it and cheat Clemens out of yet another win. I bet Qualls is ducking Clemens so he doesn't get choked out in the locker room, that has got to start weighing on a guy after a while.

And I've quit blaming Lidge for his performance. I now blame Garner, who knows Lidge is a liability but continues to put him in game decisive situations. Hopefully I'll be able to see Lidge pitch next month... when we go see the Hooks play in Corpus on the 12th.

·
See ya on the flats!
1,840 Posts
I don't even think they need to send him down. They need to get something worked out in the area of a trade before 3pm tomorrow! Preferably to an American League team! I know Clemens is going nuts...finally a little run support and the bull pen collapses! I also blame Garner for continuing to use "lights not on" Lidge! The Rockets interview just started...should be interesting!

Late,
Cox

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
We just gotta keep rootin though. Look at last year. Everyone hammered 'em and they buckled down late.
I hate to see a Big Hitter (pun intended) like Clemens lose from weak relief...or poor hitting for that matter.
They need to take one game at a time, play each one like it's over, and work on the relief pitchin.

California

·
Dickinson
2,530 Posts
not gonna happen this year...sorry 'stros fans...lightning struck twice, last 2 years...not gonna happen 3 times though...too many teams ahead of you.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I like Garner, but he has got to do something with Lidge. Send him down to Round Rock or release him. Pupura has got to make a trade for a bat and a closer

·
Registered
441 Posts
Lidge should be traded after today's performance. There is a rumor that he is going to the Texas Rangers. Houston needs some help and quick.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds good to me, but the Rangers would not take the deal. The Astros do not want to assume any additional salary. I think that they are going after Miguel Tejada. They might have to give up some of there top prospects to get him.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
The reason I mention it is that the Rangers are apparently interested in Lidge, but it would take one of their sluggers to get him. But, the Rangers have PLENTY of hitting.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I hate to say this since I have tried to give the Stros the benefit of the doubt, they are toast. Clemens is one gracious person, he looked **** but said something nice in his interview about Ausmus and the way he called the game.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
We have some good prospects in the minors right now. If they trade for a veteran to and give up some of these prospects, I'll be disappointed again. This season is a loss and I would rather see them just prepare for next year. We need some bullpen help as well as additional hitters. We can't win every game with Berkman. Need some more big bats.
With Lidge's poor performances he is just ruining our chance to trade him.
The way the game ended yesterday was lilke the hope for the Stros being ended.....
Steve

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
I am starting to think that one of our biggest problems is at the General manager's postion. I have always been concerned by Purpura's inability to make any moves. I have read several places some unflattering things about his inabilities. But now, I am starting to fear that this guy is completely incompetant as GM of a major league ballclub. There is a report that he offered Roy Oswalt and 2 more players (including Adam Everett) for Tejada. Oswalt is an elite starting pitcher. These kind of players are very hard to find. Our starting pitching rotation could afford to lose Oswalt. That would leave us with Clemens, a dissapoiting Pettite, an extremely dissapointing Backe and a couple of youngsters. No thanks. With our bullpen being as it is , that would be completely unacceptable.

Now there are rumors of the Mets interested in Oswalt. This had better be internet clutter. If Oswalt is on the market, somebody needs to lose his job, and today.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
manintheboat said:
I am starting to think that one of our biggest problems is at the General manager's postion. I have always been concerned by Purpura's inability to make any moves. I have read several places some unflattering things about his inabilities. But now, I am starting to fear that this guy is completely incompetant as GM of a major league ballclub. There is a report that he offered Roy Oswalt and 2 more players (including Adam Everett) for Tejada. Oswalt is an elite starting pitcher. These kind of players are very hard to find. Our starting pitching rotation could afford to lose Oswalt. That would leave us with Clemens, a dissapoiting Pettite, an extremely dissapointing Backe and a couple of youngsters. No thanks. With our bullpen being as it is , that would be completely unacceptable.

Now there are rumors of the Mets interested in Oswalt. This had better be internet clutter. If Oswalt is on the market, somebody needs to lose his job, and today.
I don't think Purpura is the problem. Last year, he didn't make a move and they made it to the World Series. Seems like he made the right decision didn't he? So just because he didn't make a move doesn't mean he can't. There are too many factors to just make a blanket statement and say he is incapable of making a big deal.

The reason Oswalt's name may be coming up is because he will be a free agent after next year if they don't sign to a multi-year deal. If they feel
he's going to go somewhere else, then they may look to get something for him, especially if the price is right. I bet they have a hefty price tag for him this year, so it will take a lot for another team to get him. This time next year, he may be on the trading block for a much lower price.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Trade Oswalt, NO WAY. That would be just like what McMullen did with Nolan Ryan, refused to pay him an additional $300,000 then lets him walk to the Rangers. Oswalt is the guts of the pitching staff, if they want to trade someone trade Clemens and Pettit. Clemens will not be back with the Stros and Pettite has underachieved since he came here.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
NaClH2O said:
I don't think Purpura is the problem. Last year, he didn't make a move and they made it to the World Series. Seems like he made the right decision didn't he? So just because he didn't make a move doesn't mean he can't. There are too many factors to just make a blanket statement and say he is incapable of making a big deal.

The reason Oswalt's name may be coming up is because he will be a free agent after next year if they don't sign to a multi-year deal. If they feel
he's going to go somewhere else, then they may look to get something for him, especially if the price is right. I bet they have a hefty price tag for him this year, so it will take a lot for another team to get him. This time next year, he may be on the trading block for a much lower price.
the astros made it to the world series despite him, not because of him. The revisionist historians would like people believe that it was some master strategy of Purpura to leave the team as is in 2005, when the reality is that he could not get a deal done (he even admitted to this) to improve the offense, which was ultimately their undoing in the WS. They really could have used that extra bat in the lineup in the world series that he failed to deliver. You do not pay a GM to try. If he cannot get things done then he needs to be replaced. Purpura has not done one thing in his tenure to prove that he belongs in this postion.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
manintheboat said:
the astros made it to the world series despite him, not because of him. The revisionist historians would like people believe that it was some master strategy of Purpura to leave the team as is in 2005, when the reality is that he could not get a deal done (he even admitted to this) to improve the offense, which was ultimately their undoing in the WS. They really could have used that extra bat in the lineup in the world series that he failed to deliver. You do not pay a GM to try. If he cannot get things done then he needs to be replaced. Purpura has not done one thing in his tenure to prove that he belongs in this postion.
I think you'll see the Astros come out ahead on the Huff deal. I thought that was a good move by T-Pup.

I don't think we can critize Pupura until 3PM central today. If he comes out and says "stay pat"... then we can all critize him. I don't remember a player last season that would have made a difference in our run, but this year we really need a trade. Without a move, this team falls short of the playoffs.

We'll see what happens today...

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
Oswalt is and has been my favorite pitcher. If they trade him, then they just lost all respect and I won't be watching them NEAR AS OFTEN!!!
I would MUCH rather keep what we have then to trade Oswalt!!!!!!!
Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts