2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to get philosophical, but have you ever wondered how things seem to have a strange way of working out? I was in Rockport this weekend. Typically when I am there I'm doing one of two things - fishing or out shooting photos. Sunday morning, I passed on a fishing trip and decided not to go take pictures. For some strange reason, I decided to load up the truck early and get a head start back to Houston instead of taking advantage of the beautiful morning. Little did I know, I would soon undergo the pleasant experience of passing a kidney stone! Did I somehow know something was wrong with me that made me avoid my usual activities altogether? I cannot imagine what it would have been like to go through that experience while on a boat, wading in the middle of the bay, or while walking with my camera nowhere near my vehicle or any help. Coincidence???

BTW - The doctor said that dehydration was probably the cause. I try to drink plenty of fluids when I'm outdoors, but this is something I had no idea could be caused by not drinking enough water. Be sure to stay hydrated - you DO NOT want to experience kidney stones!

I did manage to get a decent heron shot Saturday morning.

- Brett

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Bad memories

Brett,

I've had them twice. The first time was so bad I shut down the emergency room creating a fit to get some Demerol. My mom worked there and she made me go back and apologize to everyone. Took three orderlies and an HPD officer to restrain me. Eventually I passed out - that's how bad the pain was.

Both were volleyball related during the summer beach season many, many pounds ago. Glad you're over it now.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's good to be over it. I'm waiting for the lab results now to see if it was dehydration, something else, or a combination of both that caused it. I'm sure there will be a diet change coming my way. I'll do anything I have to in order to avoid that experience again! If anyone you know goes through this, be supportive. If you have an employee that goes through this, give them the week off! I still cannot find words to describe just how bad this hurts. My stone was 5mm - the doctor in the emergency room said they are usually 1-2mm but anything under 10mm can pass on its own. I just glad mine wasn't any bigger than it was!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts