2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having difficulties with my computer. It keeps on pulling up my old AOL and trying to dial it up even while noone is on the computer. I have to unplug it from the wall so it wont connect by itself. It has also been freezing up on web sites when I hit a link. Not always but sometimes it will freeze. I am not sure where all of this is coming from because it just kinda started happening. Any advice or info you can share with me is greatly appreciated. I have updated on the microsoft website and have also tried to do the uninstall on AOL. The deinstallation will not run because of one of two things. It will either say that a current version of AOL for Dell is trying to install the program or dslmgr.exe is running. Even if I go in and stop these processes they will still not let me run the deinstallation program.

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Ouch (AOL) or Almost On Line hehehehe

read here.
http://www.2coolfishing.net/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=6036

Make sure you do not have the autodial or auto connect started. I would also think running a full spyware scan by several scanners might help, there is a program that is trying to connect and "phone home". What Operating System are you using? If WinME or WinXP be sure to turn off the restore function before removing the problems or they will just come back. (turn back on after you are finished) Have you installed any new programs? Check what programs are loading at startup.

·
Registered
195 Posts
argo ,i was having similar problems and i had a guy come check my comp. and he uninstalled the service pak 2 from microsoft and now its working fine , so you might try that

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OS is WinXP. What are some spyware check programs. I was having an issue with the sasser worm for a while and would just end the avserve2.exe process which solved that problem and I downloadeded the service pak1 from microsoft but it still tried to dial up last night. Where do I find the auto dial thing you speak of Bill? I dont know why it would choose AOL because it brings it up even if I am online with my current ISP and using the MSN explorer or netscape. I hated AOL BTW. I will try and dl the service pak 2 tonight when I get out of class. I am one of those kind of ppl that would rather throw the dang thing out and buy a new one if I cant resolve the problem soon. The worst thing is I have the Dell at home service for another 2 years but an too impatient to wait for them to come out. I guess I will call them on Thursday when I actually have some free time. That is if I am unable to hunt out the problem with yalls advice.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Check in the AOL configuration

look under "preferences" you should have a checkbox for auto connect.
Also in the control panel, check Internet options, check the connection settings. I think an online virus scan would help the most at this point. Look in the sticky for links to scanners, be sure to turn off the auto restore BEFORE you do the scans, this will prevent them from returning after you reboot. The sasser worm will shut down your computer. See attached image 1. (says system32 terminated) Image 2 is the blaster worm and will shut down your system by remote procedure call.

Follow the instructions on how to remve AOL (thread link) and you should be OK.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
One more thing

Service Pack 2 fro XP, in my mind is a risk. I know people who have no problems but I also know many who have had problems and even removed the pack. I have not installed it on my main computer and I will not until a later date. Check with Dell's website about any known issues your computer may have, they will be listed out. The biggest problems I have seen so far, once the pack is installed, the person is not able to connect to the internet or they have problems downloading. There is a solution to correct these issues but the way I see it, why download something then disable. If you have a firewall and good security (spyware and anti-virus) then I really do not see the point to this update. It's all about security. IMHO.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think it is a virus, after the sasser came through I upgraded my firewall and got rid of AOL. My server also has a decent firewall, so they say. I have not had that shutdown thing happen to me in a while. when I my window freezes I can just shut it down and reopen it again. The whole thing doesnt shut down. I will do the aol disable thing also. My kids may have been messing with it or something.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
Check the air flow

in the back, make sure the fans are working and clear. Overheating will also cause a computer to freeze up. I still think there is a spyware program in there trying to call home.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When was the last time you cleaned out your computer? Most spyware is in your cookies/temp files.

In IE, click on tools, click on internet options, click on delete cookies, click on delete files, click on delete all offline content & click on clear history (click on OK on ea of those). Then go to your trash bin/recycle bin & empty the trash.

Check on the connections tab under internet options. You see any Aol, delete it.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I called dell and they helped me solve the problem. There was a bunch of stuff that was programed to auto start kind of like bill said but it was not an aol function and I could not find where to turn off the windows function. I had to go to Start, then to Run and then to some other task manager that shows which ones start automatically and turn them all off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts