2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
STAR leaderboard shows J.O. Lewis of SA in the lead...here's the story and a photo. I don't know Mr. Lewis, but what a catch! I hope it holds up.

"Well boys and girls, here’s something for you to shoot at â€" 10 lb 9 oz, 32 ½ inch freckled snaggletooth caught Tuesday, 6/15 in Baffin Bay on “Woody Woodpecker” (red head/white body) Skitterwalk. I was wade fishing shallow rocks when she sucked it under â€" she did not blowup on it like a typical trout. I did not feel any weight right away; she was running toward me from 30 or so feet away. I was able to reel the leader all the way up to a rod guide before she realized she was hooked. She seemed confused, swimming around and behind me before turning towards me like she was going between my feet. Now, the last thing you want between your legs with treble hooks on it is a green sow trout! I quickly put my legs together to protect myself and she swam around my legs and hit my left foot with her head. Thankfully, the lure with hooks was on the other side of her head. She then made one of two very long runs â€" just like a big red would â€" of at least 50 or more feet. Thank goodness for Shimano gear grease and a recently cleaned Curado BSF 200/All Star IM10X PMR-SPC rod. Oh yea, I was using 12 lb Trilene Big Game line.

I had not seen this fish the entire time until she rolled about ten feet in front of me after her long runs. The girth of this fish was so wide I was sure it was an oversize red. As she submerged deep and circled me shaking her head, I replayed in my mind the brief moment she surfaced in front of me. It was then that I realized -- those were spots not dots on that fish. Believe me, the adrenaline hit my blood stream and the ole’ ticker started thumping! After she circled me a few times and eventually resurfaced, the full size of this brute really hit me. If you can imagine the girth and size of a 34-36 inch bull red, that is exactly what this fish looked like alive. It was absolutely breath taking! Well, I have several good friends that have lost lifetime fish at this point trying to hand grab a live sow trout. Not me. I could see that the hooks were solidly impaled, with one fully engulfed in her jaw and the rear hook deeply imbedded in her head. I simply released the drag another click or too and let her fully exhaust herself harmlessly circling me until she turned belly up.

At this point, I put the rod in my right hand and took two fingers of my left hand and slid them between her gills and raised her head out of the water. I put the rod under my left hand and grabbed her tail with my right hand, turned and walked straight to the boat. I didn’t try to unhook her, put her on a stringer or any other risky maneuver â€" straight to the boat. When I got there, I laid her in the bottom of the boat, took the hooks out and put the rod in the holder. I quickly hopped in the boat, found the Boga Grip and raised her up to feel the full weight of this pig -- just under 11 lbs on an uncertified Boga Grip right out of the box. Although I was fishing alone, I was fortunate to have another fisherman nearby come over to assist me with these photos. I put her on ice, had a quick cup of coffee and slid back into the water to finish out my limit of dink trout 19-24”. Everything’s a dink after catching a 32 ½ “ fish (ha, ha). I may as well as sell my rod ‘n reels and go out and buy a bowling ball, fishing will never be the same.

Finally weighed her in at 10:30 a.m. at Roy’s. No doubt she lost a few ounces in the fish box on the way in via Bird Island all the way to Roy’s. I didn’t realize it, but CCA confiscates your fish at this point. Rocky was nice enough to wrap it in a wet towel, enclose it in a black garbage bag and put it in his freezer. I can get the fish back Labor Day after the conclusion of STAR tourney. As of the day she was weighed in, she was atop the leader board for the Lower Coast Division. Time will only tell if she holds up, but she would have won in each of the last three tourneys. I later went out to John Glen’s gallery to get in line to have her mounted. He has over 300 fish in the freezer and my wait will likely be around two years to get her back. What’s two more years, it only took me 56 years to catch her? Guess I can wait two more years. Well, that’s it. Appreciate your patience for a long story â€" hope you enjoy it. I did!"

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Super Pig!

He caught a trout, but me thinks he was fishin' for endorsement money! LOL! He mentioned every product he could squeeze in the story.

What a fish, though!

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
what a fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when you enter a fish in the STAR, they ask you all kinds of questions like that. Rod, reel, line, lure, boat, motor...everything.

If I caught it, I'd be tyring to get a litlle endorsement money too. (on top of my new boat)

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Probably will be upgrading from the Bluewave! Classic big trout hook up. When she hit the topwater it left a washtub swirl, no blow up. Then ran straight at the guy without knowing she was hooked, then the Long drag burning runs, and finally some serious head shaking. You gotta love it! See that smile, it'll be there a good while.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great fish! I believe "I" would have to go straight in to the weigh station and save those couple of ounces that could come back and bite my ***........ THEN go back out and work that Skittywalk with that "real nervous" action.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
WOW, I love Baffin...LOL... Still got a smile on my face.....Dontchaknow

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can't wait to make a trip down to baffin and go fishin'. I sure would like to catch a double digit trout.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
That's Fantastic

Glad for the man! I bet the sale of Red and White Skitters goes through the roof! Nary such topwater will be found on the TX coast! I'da had a choke hold on that fish during the photo OP. CF?:bounce:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts