2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MC, can you just imagine the total destruction that would have occurred had Ike make landfall at San Luis Pass! :eek:

We would of have storm surge all the way to Beltway 8!

mastercylinder said:
nice graphic, aaron. very cool. kinda' scarey, too.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
i'm just glad we have this 17-mile long levee surrounding us. according to that graphic, we had a estimated surge of 16-17', and by the looks of the debris line on the side of the levee, i believe it. i live 9 blocks from the western shore of the bay at an elevation of about 8' which means, without the levee, i could easily have had 8-9' of water in my house. i didn't have a drop.

like i said, it's kinda' scarey. thank goodness for that levee. i've been wondering lately if the people around here who maybe haven't been around as long as i have, and who don't remember carla, really appreciate what that levee means to us here in hooterville.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My understanding is that it is NASA's best estimate of actual events.

Does that sentence make sense? LOL! Based upon where the red (highest surge) is shown, it looks correct to me.

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
WOW

Thats unbeleivable. really puts it into perspective. I don't think anyone will ever Ride Out another big storm (in size) like this again. I just wished everyone would have gotten the heck out of those areas when the surges were being predicted.I han't help but wonder what some are going through now. Losing a house, Car, Truck seems like everything but those can be replaced. It's the people that are missing that bothers me.

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
A very telling graphic and a devestating one as well. Wow!

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
It's my understanding,

NOAA and the University of Texas are cooperating in the use of UT's hugh new computer to try to best record hurricanes and their impact. The data is accumulated from instruments dropped into the hurricane by planes flying through it. An article in the Austin American Statesman and an article on The Weather Channel HD covered it. One of the entities referred to herein might have more information about the effort on their website.

·
Shoalwater owner/ concrete guy
5,153 Posts
Super Dave said:
the link to the above surge map doesn't appear to be working. Is it just me or is there some other way to get to the map?
I think they pulled it because it hasn't worked in about a week. It was kind of disturbing seeing how high it got in some places.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts