2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago, there was a thread about this and one of the recommendation was Julio's Queso. They said it was available at HEB, but I was never able to find it in either of the big, new HEB's in my part of town. What I did find, however, was Culinary Cowgirls queso products. I've tried all three flavors. All are very good, though the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Dip flavor is a little rich & salty for me, so I stick to the other two flavors. All are regularly in stock on the shelves in the dairy aisle, right above the sour cream.

If you like queso and don't want to take the time to make it yourself, give this stuff a try. Heats up in the microwave.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The HEB on FM306 in New Braunfels is the only one I have found Julio’s queso in.

We usually just buy the Culinary Cowgirls at the local HEB and its good as well. But I prefer Julio’s.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
not to be a "one upper", BUT......HEB offers a brisket queso in their prepared meals section (usually near the deli counter) that is fantastic! It comes is a foil tray and you heat it up on a grill, stir it up, and eat it!

I took some to the lease a few weeks ago and almost had to cold-cock a lease mate when he tried to double dip!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not to be a "one upper", BUT......HEB offers a brisket queso in their prepared meals section (usually near the deli counter) that is fantastic! It comes is a foil tray and you heat it up on a grill, stir it up, and eat it!

I took some to the lease a few weeks ago and almost had to cold-cock a lease mate when he tried to double dip!
Please be a "one-upper," by all means. That's why I posted. Before Culinary Cowgirls, all store bought queso I'd ever had was so bad I threw it away after one taste. If your suggestion is better, it will go on my list. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It is just too easy to make Queso in a microwave. I like it hot. Cube up velveta cheese add two cans of hot Rotel one small can of sliced jalapenos chopped and a package of precooked breakfast sausage patties chopped. Wave and stir until melted. I do like Julio's chips.

·
Registered
13,708 Posts
It is just too easy to make Queso in a microwave. I like it hot. Cube up velveta cheese add two cans of hot Rotel one small can of sliced jalapenos chopped and a package of precooked breakfast sausage patties chopped. Wave and stir until melted. I do like Julio's chips.
I like this, except with chili instead of sausage.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know how to make it and do so for parties where there will be a lot of people eating it. These products would be impractical for a crowd. Most of my consumption is for two people in servings of maybe a cup of queso. Doesn't make any sense at all to split a can of Rotel for small amounts.

·
Jeremiah 29:11
5,904 Posts
And where do you find it, if you don't mind me asking?
it can be tough!!!

the heb’s by me here in Pearland don’t have it. They have the salsa, but not the queso

The only time I’ve found the queso is at Brookshire Brothers. People claim the queso is at HEB too but I’ve yet to see it anywhere

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only time I’ve found the queso is at Brookshire Brothers. People claim the queso is at HEB too but I’ve yet to see it anywhere
Ain't no Brookshire Brothers around me. Guess I'll have to get my brother in law to start bringing it down from Lufkin when he visits.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
x100 on Culinary Cowgirl's queso. I just discovered this at our fantasy football draft party last month and it was the best store bought queso I've ever had. Going to start looking for Julio's queso as well. I've never tried that one before.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Searching for Culinary Cowgirls origins, because it seemed to come out of nowhere:

They credit another Texas company with their start: HEB
"They've really put us on the map and have made all of this possible," Worthington said.
The two came in second place in H-E-B's "Quest for Best - HEB" contest in 2016.
"It blew up from there," Chandler said.
Soon after, the pair sold $1 million worth of queso, which spurred the company's growth, leading to the new Culinary Factory just outside Downtown Lockhart off Highway 183.

This just might be why Julio's is not longer on HEB shelves.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts