2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any good home solutions to help even the score? I'm thinking about buying one of those black flag foggers to use in my yard. I have to do something this is the worst we have ever had them here in TC. Thanks.

·
Who Farted?
1,857 Posts
Buddy of mine down in Brazoria has about 20 AC and tried using the foggers and didnt get any real results, says what does work is the Cutter spary that attaches to a hose and sparys the grass and sides of the house, says it takes 10 bottles to treat his yard and it works for about 2-3 weeks before they skeeters come back really bad

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have good result with Cutter Bug Free Backyard at my POC bay house, can be bought at Lowes, attach to water hose and spray in grass I repeat about every 10 days since all the rain we have had in POC

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I have one of those Black Flag propane foggers I use in Jamaica Beach. It works pretty good, but only keeps them at bay for 30 minutes or so when they get real bad. I've tried a variety of products that you put on the yard, and I guess is keeps them out of my grass, but it's not a long flight from the neighbors yard to my patio. Mosquito magnet works good in Houston, but is less effective in Jamaica Beach. It attracts Mosquitos, but if you happen to be between the mosquito and the magnet, the mosquito will stop and bite you.

The best thing I've found is Skin-so-soft Expedition. It's almost odorless and keeps the mosquitos off of you. I just spray it on a couple of times a day if I'm going to be outside a lot.

My mother is at my place this week and she said Monday and Tuesday you couldn't even go outside they were so bad. She said yesterday was much better. I guess the peak from last week's rain has past.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks. I needed that advice also. My bayhouse is overrun.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I should also mention that good old fashioned citronella torches or lanterns work pretty well if you place them in a ring around a patio or sitting area. I have six good tiki torches that I set in cement in some plastic flower pots I got at Home Depot. That way I can place them where I want them and the wind doesn't blow them over.

Boat: You might try that at your bay house. What I will do in the evening is fog the yard, then fire up the tiki's. This will usually keep them at bay for a few hours. At least within the ring of the torches.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
At the bay house we have rigged a stainless steel tank with a one inch ips coupling welded onthe top it with a screw plug , this is the filler , on the bottom of the tank is a needle valve that is used as a drain/dripper. This is mounted on the riding lawn mower. Fill the tank with skeeter liquid "the same you get for your sprayer" drip on the muffler while you are cutting grass, or riding around the yard.The more the drip the bigger the white cloud ,

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
texasjellyfish said:
At the bay house we have rigged a stainless steel tank with a one inch ips coupling welded onthe top it with a screw plug , this is the filler , on the bottom of the tank is a needle valve that is used as a drain/dripper. This is mounted on the riding lawn mower. Fill the tank with skeeter liquid "the same you get for your sprayer" drip on the muffler while you are cutting grass, or riding around the yard.The more the drip the bigger the white cloud ,
purty nifty. how's the muffler holding up?

·
88 Ag
6,217 Posts
shoot the waterman on 2cool here a pm. He owns a landscaping company and installs the mosquito systems. I have one and they are absolutely incredible. He even gives a 30 day money back guarantee.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Get someone with a pesticide license to get you a bottle of YUMA 4-E and mix at 1% and spray the lawn. This will kill ants, aphids, flies, grubs, chinch bugs, MOSQUITOS, etc.. The only kicker, keep pets off the grass for 48 hours as it can blister their paws. No problem with humans after a few hours. This should last almost a full year.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Just got back from Crystal Beach after spending about 5 days down there. The skeeters were voracious. As normal, I immediately sprayed with malathion and water in a hose sprayer. It knocked them down immediately and each morning we could go out to the boat before daylight and felt nada of them. I did notice however that when going up the stairs there were still some hanging around at a higher level on the house. I sprayed again and found they were coming out of all the dark places where the deck met the house etc. They came out in droves when the spray hit. So I sprayed the entire side of the house where the stairs are and then sprayed under the deck. Again, they came out from every dark spot. After this second spraying I had nary a one of them the rest of the stay down there. The grass all around the house never did hold any again after the first spray. Surely, after a rain it will probably go back to square one but I am here to tell you that the hose spray with either mosquitos be gone or malathion does the job.

·
<---Lifetime Fishing Buddy
1,265 Posts
The propane foggers are good but they are only as good for the area you treat.

Example: When I fog my yard I also fog the neighbors on the front/back and side and also the ditches, culverts and any standing water.
A mosquitoe can sense you from 100 ft.

I fogged this past Tuesday and was almost carried away while I was fogging and have seen a big difference. When I do fog, I fog the grass because thats where the mosquitoes like to hang out during the day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.