2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend caught / kept a BIG Sting Ray to make scallops out of. He's asking how to prepare. (Cut off wings, how to cut-up and how to cook?)

I'll be there to taste, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Bernard

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Sting Ray wings

Hey Stay Bent, The way I have always cooked them was after filleting them off the grissel, I just cut the meat into strips (kinda like a fish stick) and fried them just like any other fish. Very good eating but if the Ray was real big the meat gets tougher. I caught one that weighed 80 lbs and the meat wasn't near as good as a smaller one.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recipe

Thanks Captdoug,
I think he already cut the wings off and shouldn't have a problem removing skin and stripping. I'll spectate and wait for a bite.

Bernard

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Take on Sting Ray

I helped him filet the meat off of the grissle and what strange looking meat.(Texture looked like Round Steak that you make Chicken-fried Steak with)

We seasoned and prepared it like the rest of the fish. (Red Snapper and Red Fish) The String Ray had a darker look to it after frying and everyone could tell what was what.

Final Verdict:
Most took the Sting Ray as a sample. Didn't hear anyone ask to take any of the remaining SR home. But all of the other fish left the house in packages.
As for me-It taste like Chicken-Fried Steak. (A little Chewing)

We decided we will cut our lines from here on out. The Juice Just Wasn't Worth the Squeeze!

Bernard

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,956 Posts
So...

I have seen stingray meat and it's just like you said, red, grainy, tough, weird looking stuff. So, how is it possible to make scallop looking things from this meat ? I have heard this a number of times and I don't buy it, at all, period.

Unless you're feeding the sharks, Stingray is best left off the menu.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strongly Agree Now

Caught one Friday and had no second thoughts about a quick release.

Bernard

·
Registered
453 Posts
EndTuition said:
I have seen stingray meat and it's just like you said, red, grainy, tough, weird looking stuff. So, how is it possible to make scallop looking things from this meat ? I have heard this a number of times and I don't buy it, at all, period...
I have wondered the same. The grain runs the wrong way.

The Atlantic rays are the only ones I have tried and they are much better poached, grilled or stir fried as opposed to fried. I like it tossed in pasta and dressed with a little sesame oil, pretty good stuff actually.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I like to boil the meat, let it cool, crumble it and use your favorite crabcake recipe. Caught a 180 lb one a few years ago. Gave a lot away and still ate stingray crabcakes a couple nights a week for a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.