2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bigmax said:
Couldn't resist huh? If I had the time and someone with patience to teach me then the acoustic that I have sitting in the corner of the room would be strumming now. It's not electric but it has had some pretty good sounds come from it.

I even had callousis(sp) building up at the tips of my fingers before I put it down.

A 2COOL BAND would be a hoot!
Ill teach you the basics and it really doesnt take that much time to learn if you LISTEN to your teacher. The problems I have had in the past is in teaching youngsters that worship Metallica and am only interested in "Speed Metal" With you Lyn, it would be a piece of cake! Back in the early 80s when I played in a band, we played mostly country and Elvis! We threw in some BTO and Chuck Berry, but since the music of the times were generated from the movie "The Urban Cowboy", thats what I know best. Jody Selby was our singer and I think he is still around, could fool you on a recording. You would swear it was Elvis!

I can teach you that sort of basic chording if you listen to me and not want to play Death Metal! :slimer: I know your into Slipknot and Insect Warfare, but youll have to settle down and roll with simple stuff like Neil Young and Meral Haggard! Eagles, bands like that is what I can play. Man, I love the blues and Ill be working on that some more.

Go to the music store and pick up some new strings and a tuner. D'Addairio 10s and a Korg tuner. Ill teach ya!

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
PD2 said:
What did you get Gary?? I have three guitars right now - a 1978 Tabacco Sunburst Fender Strat, a '90's version of an ESP Mirage (my old Heavy Metal guitar days), and a 2000 Limited Edition, signature Ovation acoustic. Still have my Fender M80 amp with a Peavy dual 10" cabinet too. Have not picked up the guitar in God knows when, but aside from heavy metal stuff, I used to love to pick SRV and just make up my own blues licks. Last time I seriously played, I used to string my guitar up with some Dean Markley Cold Blue steels - some times 10's some times 12's (depends on what music I was playing). If you ever have the cash snag a set of them - those things have life that is unreal! Even when the strings start to rust out their tone and sustain are awesome!

PD2:cool:
Welp, on my way home from work I thought Id stop by a pawn shop just to pick up an old accoustic to beat on. I didnt want to spend more $50 so my expectations were low. lol They didnt have anything even close to decent at $150 and up, but this Strat copy Ibanez caught my eye. It plays surprisingly well for an el cheapo. The tag said $150 and they had it marked down to $99.95. I offered them $80 even with no tax and they took it!

Of course it needed new strings so I cruised down to Guitar Center and they had this Fender practice amp on sale for $79 so I picked it up also. Its only 15 watts but its enough to get me evicted. lol

Im still not sure what model the guitar is. I left a message on an Ibanez forum but my best guess is its a GRX-40. Im having a hard time finding out what it costs new, but I thing its a cheap beginners guitar, prolly under $200. But like I said, it plays and sounds surprisingly good for a Chinese guitar. I might make a project out of it later. Strip it down, repaint it, throw some Seymore Duncans or something. Im thinking I could mount a Strat neck on it.

EDIT: It was built in June of 2003 in Yeou Chern China. LOL Its an Ibanez GRX40. There were selling for about $240 then, so I did pretty good on what I paid for it. Its definitly not as good as my old American Strat, but, $1000, or $80? LOL

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.