2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Oh most definitely! I have played guitar with several locals. I have watched guitarist for over 20 years. And I can tell you this, I have never seen ONE that you can FEEL everything he plays and sings about like SRV can! You can be guaranteed that the man lived out his life experiences through the music he played! Awesome stuff Biffster!

PD2:cool:

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Yeah, that guy does need to slow it down even more! LOL! Even for me. He is not calling out the cords nor the finger progression. I'm used to the hooked on phonics version! LOL!

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been picking off and on for allmost 40 years, and I cant even get close to that. LOL

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ddcarter3 said:
Stevie Ray rocks for sure!!!
Jimi just started it.
Both were way ahead of their time.
Guess what I did today?

I picked up a guitar and amp! :D

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
heh heh

Couldn't resist huh? If I had the time and someone with patience to teach me then the acoustic that I have sitting in the corner of the room would be strumming now. It's not electric but it has had some pretty good sounds come from it.

I even had callousis(sp) building up at the tips of my fingers before I put it down.

A 2COOL BAND would be a hoot!

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bigmax said:
Couldn't resist huh? If I had the time and someone with patience to teach me then the acoustic that I have sitting in the corner of the room would be strumming now. It's not electric but it has had some pretty good sounds come from it.

I even had callousis(sp) building up at the tips of my fingers before I put it down.

A 2COOL BAND would be a hoot!
Ill teach you the basics and it really doesnt take that much time to learn if you LISTEN to your teacher. The problems I have had in the past is in teaching youngsters that worship Metallica and am only interested in "Speed Metal" With you Lyn, it would be a piece of cake! Back in the early 80s when I played in a band, we played mostly country and Elvis! We threw in some BTO and Chuck Berry, but since the music of the times were generated from the movie "The Urban Cowboy", thats what I know best. Jody Selby was our singer and I think he is still around, could fool you on a recording. You would swear it was Elvis!

I can teach you that sort of basic chording if you listen to me and not want to play Death Metal! :slimer: I know your into Slipknot and Insect Warfare, but youll have to settle down and roll with simple stuff like Neil Young and Meral Haggard! Eagles, bands like that is what I can play. Man, I love the blues and Ill be working on that some more.

Go to the music store and pick up some new strings and a tuner. D'Addairio 10s and a Korg tuner. Ill teach ya!

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
What did you get Gary?? I have three guitars right now - a 1978 Tabacco Sunburst Fender Strat, a '90's version of an ESP Mirage (my old Heavy Metal guitar days), and a 2000 Limited Edition, signature Ovation acoustic. Still have my Fender M80 amp with a Peavy dual 10" cabinet too. Have not picked up the guitar in God knows when, but aside from heavy metal stuff, I used to love to pick SRV and just make up my own blues licks. Last time I seriously played, I used to string my guitar up with some Dean Markley Cold Blue steels - some times 10's some times 12's (depends on what music I was playing). If you ever have the cash snag a set of them - those things have life that is unreal! Even when the strings start to rust out their tone and sustain are awesome!

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
PD2 said:
What did you get Gary?? I have three guitars right now - a 1978 Tabacco Sunburst Fender Strat, a '90's version of an ESP Mirage (my old Heavy Metal guitar days), and a 2000 Limited Edition, signature Ovation acoustic. Still have my Fender M80 amp with a Peavy dual 10" cabinet too. Have not picked up the guitar in God knows when, but aside from heavy metal stuff, I used to love to pick SRV and just make up my own blues licks. Last time I seriously played, I used to string my guitar up with some Dean Markley Cold Blue steels - some times 10's some times 12's (depends on what music I was playing). If you ever have the cash snag a set of them - those things have life that is unreal! Even when the strings start to rust out their tone and sustain are awesome!

Welp, on my way home from work I thought Id stop by a pawn shop just to pick up an old accoustic to beat on. I didnt want to spend more $50 so my expectations were low. lol They didnt have anything even close to decent at $150 and up, but this Strat copy Ibanez caught my eye. It plays surprisingly well for an el cheapo. The tag said $150 and they had it marked down to $99.95. I offered them $80 even with no tax and they took it!

Of course it needed new strings so I cruised down to Guitar Center and they had this Fender practice amp on sale for $79 so I picked it up also. Its only 15 watts but its enough to get me evicted. lol

Im still not sure what model the guitar is. I left a message on an Ibanez forum but my best guess is its a GRX-40. Im having a hard time finding out what it costs new, but I thing its a cheap beginners guitar, prolly under $200. But like I said, it plays and sounds surprisingly good for a Chinese guitar. I might make a project out of it later. Strip it down, repaint it, throw some Seymore Duncans or something. Im thinking I could mount a Strat neck on it.

EDIT: It was built in June of 2003 in Yeou Chern China. LOL Its an Ibanez GRX40. There were selling for about $240 then, so I did pretty good on what I paid for it. Its definitly not as good as my old American Strat, but, $1000, or $80? LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Cool Beans!

Gary, Paul, Me with alot of practice and who else? 2COOLRC Band entaining at the next Charity Event! Will work for RC!

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bigmax said:
Gary, Paul, Me with alot of practice and who else? 2COOLRC Band entaining at the next Charity Event! Will work for RC!
physhstyx is a drummer! :D

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet! I got the intro figured out but my fingers hurt. lol

This might take me a couple of days, but Im gonna learn it.

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Heck man, I really used to like the Ibanez axes - the neck is just too thin for me though and just never felt 100% right. Definitely no slouch at all! I bet that dual coil rear hummbucker is hot. Does not look all that bad. Most China imports were clean. It was the Mexico imports that were horrible! When I worked at H&H Clear Lake back in the day I used to rewire and solder many Mexico guitars - I mean those things were a mess - I'd even find piece of solder and wire in the back where you install the pickups. At any rate, nice find for sure bro!! Have tons of fun!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts