2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get everybody's opinion about their choice of steering types of boats.
I have four types of boats available to purchase - tiller, center console, side console, and stick steering. I have used every type of steering but center console, but everything I have read says that center console is the best. I don't like tiller steerin except for the fact of the very sharp turn radius. I like the side console for the fact that I am used to it. And I like the stick for the fact that I can see where the boat is going better. Does the center console ride the waves and distribute the weight better?

Let's hear some opinions. Don't be shy either, as I already know we catmen can be very opinionated ;)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think it's more a factor of weight distribution that in is where the actual wheel is located. I like the side console for a boat that's low to the water (jon or bass-type boats)... center consoles for higher gunwale boats (better visibility due to the general height difference between the CC and SC boat designs). I suppose it boils down to what YOU like best... I would like a center console as long as there is enough room to walk around both sides of the CC... If it's a tight walk around the console, then I'd just as soon have a side console. I have no experience with stick-steer boats.... and I only like tiller steer on VERY small outboards... all that said, I'd take any of the above if the motor would run LOL....

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a center console .... I am not sure it steers any better than a side console ... I do believe it makes it easire to see -- You are usually higher up and have a better feel for where the boat is going ... I think you also should condsider your style of fishing as well ... With all your gear in the boat , which will best suit you ... I like the center console and probably will not go back to the other if I can help it .... You may want to take the opportunity to drive all of themn for a refresher ...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Catfish said:
Just realized - I cant type worth a hoot ....
Yes you can... you're probably distracted with work LOL...

One other thought... I think you need to consider how many other people will generally be in the boat with you too... if you fish "solo" a lot, then it really doesn't matter what kind of boat you get so long as it pleases your style of fishing... if you bring children, then I think that calls for a different lay-out. I like to be able to get my hands on my kids when we're in a situation where I can't always count on them to make good choices about what it is they're doing... (acting stupid LOL)... and that may influence my choice in a boat... if you fish with another adult, then the layout could be a lot different, as there probably wouldn't be a safety concern as with small kids... I agree that CC gives you a better look at the water, and it has the advantage (most anyway) of blocking more wind, due to the generally higher console that a SC, which is nice in the colder months...

I've come to the conclusion that there is no "perfect" boat for all kinds of fishing, but there are lots of different styles that are PERFECT CATBOATS... I like one that's lower to the water for easier access to netting fish and releasing fish.... That's the biggest reason I chose a "bass" (soon to be cat) boat... low, easy to push, light to tow, the entire boat is "fishable" and there's plenty of storage space for those doughnuts, sodas and tackle....

That's about all I can think of for now...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like a tiller on anything up to and including 16 feet. My reasoning is that in a boat that small I need all the space I can get to store gear and maneuver a fish. On anything larger I prefer a center console because I fish alone a lot and like the weight distribution and feel of the boat while under power. I also like the ability to walk around the entire boat with a fish if the need arises. Most center console aluminum boats these days also come with a livewell/baitwell with a seat cushion on top and a grabrail on the console that is handy in rough water.

I think the ideal catboat for my purposes would be the G3 1860CC with about a 75hp motor. It's the same boat Catfish operates out of but minus the tunnel hull, 15hp and cooler seat. HOWEVER, I'm broke so I've been looking at some 15-16ft jon boats with tiller outboards and a 16' Lund Rebel v-hull. I've never riden in an aluminum v-hull but this is a sharp looking little boat with a lot of features and I know they are really big up north for pretty much any species, you just don't see as many down south. It is getting very hard to find a good used jonboat with a motor and trailer for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go with the V hull..if you fish any rivers with current where you anchor to fish a hole, you will find that the vhull will hold a hundred times better..the others swing side to side too much..causing you not to be able to keep the line tight and the baits in the hole..presentation is everything

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe I am definitely going with at least a mod-v and probably a semi-v. Probably won't go all the way to deep-v.

As far as how many people, it is usually me and 1 or 2 others. My kids that are old enough to put in a boat (other than a pontoon), are 13 and 15, so they are pretty well behaved, as they know that the bank and a boatload of switches are just a short boat ride away. ;) I am seriously leaning toward a center console at least 18 ft. One of the guys that fishes with me pushes 325-350 #'s easy, so the weight distribution would be a great factor, as my Sprint tends to lean to one side going down the lake. I would like to find one that is big enough to put my 140 hp on, but the only one I have found big enough for that is a 22ft War Eagle, which in itself is a good boat but not worth 10 K for me.

Decisions Decisions. Oh well, I reckon I will just fish out of the deck boat until I make my mind up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hey Mudd Cat ,

I have a good friend who works at Stratos , he brought home a boat that was set up for Walleye ... It would be one heck of a Catfish Boat --- It was a side console , however the way it was set up .. There was so much room it was unreal ... This is a new boat for this year I believe .... I will post a picture if I can find one ..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Center Console You can see better, your standing so the ride isn't as bad in rough water, and better walk around room. A leaning post defanitley helps out on long runs though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Jeff is not allowd to post on forums from work -- Anyway - Here is the email he sent me ..

Hey Wendell,
Went on the site and saw the picture you posted..Appreciate that, keep it up and wil have to get you a job here.. hhahha
Hey, I can't placeposts on websites on the job.. Don't ask....
The specs for it are as follows
Length: 18'6"
Beam: 99"
Capacity: 6/900
Max weight Cap: 1900
Max HP: 175
Fuel Capacity: 32 Gallons

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a nice one. Plenty of room, rated about right for the motor I already have, although it would almost be a sin to put a '76 model motor on an '04 boat.:)

I had one almost like that found, but the guy sold it out from under me last week. It was a Stratos also, but an older model, open floor plan like that one, without the full windshield.I am probably going with the center console, probably in a year or two if I can't find a good used one sooner. I appreciate everyones opinions, but I gotta go to work :( bye for now, gonna get wet. First full weekend off in 2 months, and it's gonna rain all weekend. Oh well, I gotta friend who has an enclosed boathouse I can go crappie fishin. ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still gonna get it, but I am gonna look around and see what I can find for when it is just me and a friend to fish either short trips, or almost inaccesible waters. I wanted it mainly to get back on the water until I can get the boat I really want, and be able to take all 4 kids plus wife out on it at the same time.

The storm is moving in, better get off here before I lose

1 - 16 of 16 Posts