2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Kenner with a 115 merc saltwater. The steering has two rods one near the motor which looks like the main and one parallel on a bracket about two inches away. The secondary one on the bracket is stuck. I tried spay oil and taping lightly. It's stuck tight. Any ideas on unsticking without damage. I was out fishing about three weekends ago with no problems. Good thing I decided to run it in the driveway. This would have ruined a fishing trip.

Help!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Something I forgot to mention is the steering is cable not hydro.

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Is ther a plug on the steering wheel housing? if so open it up and add some power steering fluid.

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
do yourself a favor and change the cable, there is no saving one and they tend to break at the worse possible time.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
if you put too much grease in the niples or no grease it can do that . if it has no grease see if you can add green grease to it

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Salty Dog said:
Get a bigger hammer...
Yep,
If the engine is not cocked to the side so the steering rod (bottom one) is all the way in, then put a block of wood on the end of the big rod and use a hammer to tap hard.
Also get someone at the helm to wiggle back & forth. It's probably just old grease. If you get it to turn, then I'd pull the steering rod out and clean the tube and lightly apply new grease.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, for the help.

My previous boat only had (1) cable and a greese fitting. I guess the second cable which is stuck is an antifeedback cable. This evening I think I will pull it off and try to remove the tube part exposing more of the cable. The greese in these sometimes gets thick like glue. If all else fails I will get a bigger hammer.

Seriously the boat is a 2005 and all is like new. Cannot believe I am having problems.

Please god let this break free. I want to go fishing :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
gofish2day said:
Thanks, for the help.

My previous boat only had (1) cable and a greese fitting. I guess the second cable which is stuck is an antifeedback cable. This evening I think I will pull it off and try to remove the tube part exposing more of the cable. The greese in these sometimes gets thick like glue. If all else fails I will get a bigger hammer.

Seriously the boat is a 2005 and all is like new. Cannot believe I am having problems.

Please god let this break free. I want to go fishing :)
This is usually not a big problem. Everyone here has said about the same. Use a block of wood and a stout hammer...be gentle at first. It should come loose. This happens because of the grease and the road dust & dirt that collects on the rod. It eventually cakes up and hardens. I usually wipe the rod off with some diesel on a rag and re-apply the grease with my fingers.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
kenny said:
Yep,
If the engine is not cocked to the side so the steering rod (bottom one) is all the way in, then put a block of wood on the end of the big rod and use a hammer to tap hard.
Also get someone at the helm to wiggle back & forth. It's probably just old grease. If you get it to turn, then I'd pull the steering rod out and clean the tube and lightly apply new grease.

Good luck
I had the same problem and Kenny is exactly right..i had to push hard against the motor to break it free though...250# of fat boy :)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Come to think of it the motor was trying to tell me three weeks ago. I pulled off the trailer and backed with the motor turned. The steering stuck for a monent but the motor in reverse and me turning the steering unstuck the rod. I should have cleaned and re-greased it then. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Most of the time the freeze up is at the crimp on the cable just before it gets to solid stainless rod. Sometimes a few hard taps will dislodge. Sometimes it will not. I have tired a little heat to melt the grease sometimes. Again, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Most of the time I have to replace.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had that problem once. Got it to move by soaking it with WD_40 all night. Then gave it a good whooping with a 16 Oz hammer and a solid block of wood to prevent metal to metal damage of the part. (Deformaing part) After cable came loose, I took out the part that goes into sleve at the motor end and cleaned it throughly with shotgun barrel brass bristle brush. Then reapplied thin, even coat of marine grade grease and reassambled. Replace the cap at both ends of cylinder before reassably though. In mine, salt water was leaking into sleeve trough end caps and got the problem started.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
once it is stuck like that, I would start to think about replacing the cable. When it happened to me I was able to loosen it up but that lasted only a couple more trips before the whole thing froze while I was out at the N. Jetties. No fun getting towed through the boat cut.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IT's FREE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I got home and sprayed with WD40 then beat on it a little with hammer and board. Got the guy across the street. He didn't weigh 250# more like 180#. He shoved the motor while I tapped. Shoving the motor while I turned the wheel broke it free. Examined the rod. The grease was like a white glue. Cleaned it real well and coated with lithium grease. I would replace the cable but all looks like new. I think I will watch it and keep coated with grease. My last boat had a grease fitting at the nut where the cable connects to the motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts