2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I potlick so i can drink
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
baystar hydraulic steering. I have a leek in the back. I need suggestions what to look for and how I might be able to repair it. I know its leaking because it quit steering last time I took it out and I happen to have fluid on board. I added the fluid and It began to work. When I got home I rubbed my hand below the motor and found oil.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can either buy a seal kit and repair or replace the hydralic unit. If it ran out of oil it has been leaking for a while. It's not a hard fix but the seal kit and hydralic units are expensive.

·
I potlick so i can drink
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didn't run out. It only took a few ounces then it was full. Its a verry slow leak. I noticed something wasn't right a few months ago with the steering. My buddy said I probably needed to bleed my line. Could air be in the line causing it not to steer?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Man, I just got done spending 1500 getting my entire baystar unit replaced. Started out just like yours. I highly recommend taking it in to have it serviced ASAP. We didn't, because we listened to so called "experts" (friends of ours). Turned out that the seals leaked JUST enough to allow saltwater in and corrode the hydraulic arm that slides in and out. This caused the middle seal to ruin also (due to flakes of rust rubbing on the seal). This lead to a domino effect where the helm pump was also ruined.

Had we taken it in and just replaced the seals when we first saw the problem, we could have saved a lot of time and money.

For future reference, we now make sure to keep the hydraulics clean of all salt crystals after each trip... we learned that the hard way for sure. The salt crystals wreak havoc on the seals. :(

Anthony

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
IS THE CYLINDER OR THE HELM LEAKING?
IF THE CYLINDER, YOU CAN GET THE SEAL KIT AND SPANNER WRENCH ON EBAY FOR ABOUT 100.00 AND DO IT YOURSELF.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had 2 different leaks to my two boats: the first one had leak in the cylinder seal glands;
I bought a new kit (o rings, 2 new glands, wrench) , swap out the glands and that's it

the leak on my other boat was from the hose going into the cylinder, after 7 years
of running/pounding/turning the threads on the hose had came loose, this took
forever to figure out cause I didn't suspect it, just tighten it down then an extra 1/4
turn and that was it

I would suspect the cylinder glands first, then hose then helm.
wipe your cylinder dry and clean; turn steering back and forth all the way for about
2-3 minutes then inspect hose and seals

1 - 7 of 7 Posts