2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on fishing near steamboat springs, will have a halfday sunday to possibly travel. Shadman you do any fishing in this area? How is the brook trout bite this time of year?

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Not sure about Steamboat, but I have fished rivers, streams, resevoirs and beaver ponds in the San Juan Mountains near Creede in Southern Co. Go to a local tackle shop or outfitter and ask where there is a resevoir within easy driving distance. Those can be a lot of fun to fish with bank fishing easy. Kayaks or belly boats are fun on them too but you better wear your wet suit to get in that water. Brrrrr - snow melt!

I like using an ultra light spinning setup with a gold/black Panther Martin. If you have a fly rig just ask what is hatching now and buy a handful of flies.

Good luck and say hello to my mountains for me please!

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
Fishinpayne, just south of Steamboat is Stagecoach reservoir. It has lots of big trout and big pike. Good lures for trout are castmasters, I like the silver with an orange stripe. Pike like the spinners and spoons. Below the dam is artificial only and has big wild trout. North of town is Steamboat reservoir, it is good too. The yampa river runs through town but is a little hard to do good on. It is good advise to ask in a local fishing store, but if I was there, I would head to Stagecoach, it is a beautiful spot.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you want to drive over to Estes Park area, i was there last week and fished along the Big Thompson River, It runs along side Hwy 34 or 36, can't remember which, but its the one that goes toward Longmont. Just drive the road until you find a good looking spot. We used the Panther Martins because that was recommended by some locals, but had better luck with the Mepps spinners, Red & Gold and Black & Gold. I don't know what the difference was because they look just alike. We didn't keep anything, but had a blast. The water is real high right now and moving fast, we just looked for some pools.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise all, this will be my first trip to Colorado( sucks I have to be there to work though ) and I want to sneak some fishing time in. I might just purchase some cheap spinning tackle there, not too crazy about taking my fly rods on the plane.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am here in Steamboat and its a very nice place, gotta love the mountain air smell but i still miss the saltwater air. No fishing as of yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts