2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hook 'em
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a short trip Friday morning out of Port A on Friday to check on a few state water snapper spots. Water is cooling and some keeper snapper are starting to show up. Caught a 5 man limit of mostly 15-16 inch snapper with a couple of nicer ones and some redfish. Probaby caught 5 or more undersized snapper for each keeper. All caught within sight of the jetties near Lone Star and Boatmen's reefs. The numbers are certainly there and the size should pick up with cooler water. Thanks again Rik for your help.

Attachments

·
Banned
731 Posts
We used cut bait on Friday but I would guess that smaller jigs would work just as well. Mostly smaller snapper but very aggressive bite.
I mentioned it earlier, but I had some customers fishing out of Alabama that were using large jigs to pull larger fish out of the schools. This was back during the summer.

They said there were so many that if they dropped baits down, they got the mixed bag. But by using big jigs, they were able to eliminate a lot of the little guys. They said the only drawback was it was more work.

·
Hook 'em
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try next time out. I certainly have nothing against larger snapper and in 50-60 ft of water, even I can probably handle the work load! Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I'd like to test that notion. In the winter, red snapper are hungry for meat, and anything will do, they don't care if it is hamburger. However, I have heard about cold water fish hitting on metal down here, like last spring was good on arties like knife jigs.

The best we can do down south is about 50 to 70 foot of water within 9 miles of the shore, so "getting down to the fish" isn't an issue unless you are light lining (great for when they're chummed to the surface!). Usually, the bigguns are on top of the juvies or away from the reefs in the winter, anyway.

But I think we need a field study here. Think NMFS will give us a grant for that? Rumor is that some locals boys are pulling in 25 to 30 pound stringers on only 4 state fish, each. Team Metal against Team Squid, mano y mano? Betting starts at 50 cents. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts