2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Ranger with 104,000 and at times it will not start. Motor turns over, it tries to fire sometimes, depress the acelerator and it quits trying to fire. Let it sit for 30-60 min. and it will fire right up. I am thinking its the electronic ignition module, any ideas??

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
Fuel pump relay. Many times it's the base that the relay plugs into. Have you changed the fuel pump in this truck before? Could be that too.

California

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Dani sounds right. Next time, dont start it, just turn on the key and listen for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't changed anything but the fuel filter. This started about a month ago and went for about 30 days before it decided to act up again. I guess I should take to the shop and let them fix it. Thought if someone had some insight I could do it myself and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is that 3L V6 ?
Throttle body ?
Any engine light showing up yet ?

Had one like it. Turned out it was the electric fuel pump in the tank. I held off not replacing a bad fuel sending unit until the pump went bad. Had checked the fuel pressure(low) and noticed the pump wasn't running, checked voltage going to the pump, was good. Dropped the near empty tank and replaced it. If it wasn't empty I probably woulda pulled the bed off to do it.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try the listening for the fuel pump like mentioned earlier also have you tried giving it a squirt of starting fluid if this works when it is cranking but not turning on then you know you have a fuel delivery problem if it does not work then you have a fire problem. I have had some modules go out and later return and they start. also be careful if you try the starting fluid, have a good rag just in case as I have had small flames but that was using gasoline.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Check the TPS (throttle posistion senser) Have any engine codes or light come on?

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No lights, No check engine, No codes. Switched the a/c relay and the fuel pump relay and it starts up on the first crank, but I haven't run around much today.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
Now if it does it again...On my Chevy I can reach the ignition and the relay with the other hand. If it does it again get out and wiggle the relay while turning the ignition. If it starts right up the base for which the relay plugs into is worn out most likely. I've bent the prongs on the relay slightly before to make it seat better instead of changing the relay base.

California

1 - 12 of 12 Posts