2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a source for starboard or whatever it's called. That white plastic stuff like cutting boards? Somewhere between south 610 at 45 and Cypress.
Later, biggreen

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
The cutting board stuff (Linear Polyethylene plastic) is different than starboard. Starboard has a lot more UV light stabilizer in it so it will hold up better to sunlight in outdoor use without breaking down. West Marine carries it, but you can order it from a plastic supply house for a lot less.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plan B.
All I'm building is a box to hold a couple kegs on their sides and some ice. This box will be in constant contact w/ water, ice, moisture, etc. sealed in a large cooler. I found a plastics shop and talked to them and they recomended PVC but warned that getting a waterproof seal isn't easy w/ any of the plastic materials. What's your experience w/ that if any? 4x8x1/2" sheet of PVC at about $215 I don't want to make a box that doesn't hold water.

Plan C.
Same box but built out of marine plywood. I know I can silicone the seams and screw them for a good seal. Is a paint sufficient to seal the wood?

Thanks for any input.
later, biggreen

·
Own It, everyday the same way.
1,629 Posts
I just purchased a sheet from:

Blackburn Marine
1206 Marina Bay Dr, Kemah
(281) 334-5474

·
POC chunker
9,207 Posts
biggreen said:
Plan B.
All I'm building is a box to hold a couple kegs on their sides and some ice. This box will be in constant contact w/ water, ice, moisture, etc. sealed in a large cooler. I found a plastics shop and talked to them and they recomended PVC but warned that getting a waterproof seal isn't easy w/ any of the plastic materials. What's your experience w/ that if any? 4x8x1/2" sheet of PVC at about $215 I don't want to make a box that doesn't hold water.

Plan C.
Same box but built out of marine plywood. I know I can silicone the seams and screw them for a good seal. Is a paint sufficient to seal the wood?

Thanks for any input.
later, biggreen
Would it be possible to put some kind of vinyl liner in the box like that used for pools or ponds? If you do wood, and seal it with multiple coats of a penetrating epoxy like WEST systems, it would work. Wood covered with Fiberglass cloth and then epoxy over epoxy sealed wood would even be better and probably easier to clean up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
biggreen said:
Plan B.

Plan C.

Thanks for any input.
later, biggreen
Look at Aquarium construction. They are boxes that hold water.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
there is a plastic supplier on wirt rd just south of long point that carrys starboard, if you go north off I-10 they will be on the right hand side just before long point. also a good place to buy plexiglass for deer blind windows. Sorry i don't have thier phone number

·
Registered
196 Posts
A\C plastics 713-645-4915 downtown houston.

biggreen said:
I need a source for starboard or whatever it's called. That white plastic stuff like cutting boards? Somewhere between south 610 at 45 and Cypress.
Later, biggreen

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pocketfisherman said:
The cutting board stuff (Linear Polyethylene plastic) is different than starboard. Starboard has a lot more UV light stabilizer in it so it will hold up better to sunlight in outdoor use without breaking down. West Marine carries it, but you can order it from a plastic supply house for a lot less.
I actually used a large cutting board three years ago to rebuild my dash. It is holding up really well, though the boat is covered when not in use.

·
OllllO
8,867 Posts
biggreen- I have some pieces of 2' x 4' x 3/4" I am willing to part with. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts