2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay slimyhand, what ya got? I have been home for a while and wanted to see how you guys did before I posted, but my baby is here and we are about to fix some shrimp and eat. So here is mine.
Reel fishy and I went out on the main lake hoping for a repeat of yesterday with the stripers. They did not show so we passed the time drifting for blues and shooting the breeze. A lot of fun with Kevin talking and reeling in a catfish now and then. I installed my new Bee ready rod holders this morning before going, they are very cool and worked great on the bites we had.

The lake was beautiful by 11:00 blue skies and warm, unless you were on plane heading to Browder's for a burger, a dang good burger and fries.

Slimyhand and his crew were going to meet us up White Rock, until I caught stripers yesterday, like Cowboy said when that happens it's hard to move me on anywhere else.
So slimyhand went elsewhere and I'm waiting to see how they did.
Did anyone crappie fish today?
BEC, we will be going up White Rock soon, as no one else will go and report, so we have a mission.
SS

Attachments

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sunbeam, what is your prediction regarding the tailrace flow for the coming weeks. If it will get down to a reasonable level the striper fishing should be awesome, as well as the bluecats and white bass.
Many times in the past years I would be trying to decided where to go for the white bass spawn, and wind up going to the lock&dam, only to get skunked, then hear about how they killed them below the dam.
So many choices and so little time to fish....

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Well I decided not to go to Kickapoo and went to the north end of conroe to see if the whites were in a place I uasually have luck at. No whites but we did catch a few really nice crappie using "That" crankbait. The crappie were on the bottom and bumping the bait. Got a lot of bites but not as many fish. Did also get 3 blacks with the crankbait. It was a good day to be out. Those sure are some good lookin blues. Took boomhauer with me this morning and he is going to fry some of those crappie for his wife. She has never had crappie. She might not want anymore whites after she gets a taste of those crappie.

Matt

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Dang shadeslinger, it is getting hard to read TRA's mind. They are running 11,400 cfs this afternoon with only an average of 2455 cfs in the river at any point all the way to Rosser. (Ennis)
The level is 130.8 at Riverside and 131.2 at the dam.
The little rain that fell north of Crockett did very little to the river level.
Before Christmas when it was like this they suddenly dropped the gates and went from 12000 to 7000 in two days then down to 3000 two days later. Of course we got the heavy rains that muddied the creeks and TRA jerked the gates open to 14,200 cfs over night.
Reason says with the lack of rain in the forecast it would appear that they will start to close down in 3000 cfs steps over the next week starting about Saturday afternoon.
Watch the sky, if it stays clear I would think 1/09/10 should be a good date.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like the best read on it to me Sunbeam, and I am ready to launch some bait to the gates when it gets right.
It seems the heavy pull they have going now has done a lot to clear the lake, today the South end was really looking good. Going back in the morning to drift for cats, and will be wondering if if i should have gone to Rocky, lol.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,896 Posts
Dang shadeslinger, it is getting hard to read TRA's mind.
When I visited the TRA years ago, I thought they told me that the data you refer to from the USGS site is fed into a computer and the program tells them what to do with the dam gates. I may have misunderstood though.

By the way, the old pictures I saw at the TRA was lived by Sunbeam. It was interesting to see pictures of the new 190 running across pasture land waiting for the lake to fill!

474 Posts
launching baits to the DAMM? how far is that cast? never tried it, but alot of my friends always whitebass below the damm. Will a DAiwa Sealine-x 30sha on a 9 ft. tsunami rod laoded with 50LB. powerpro braid get you there??

·
12,595 Posts
Meadowlark, Doesn't the suspended particle settle faster in cold water? Some thing to do with less convection? If so the drop of 6 or so degrees in the last week should help settle the water in the lower lake.
It has been too long since that info was important to me. Guess I could Google it.

Any way, I'm glad to see that things are slowly getting back to normal after about 135 days. The last time we had a flood period like this on Livingston Noah built a boat.

BTW with 5 mph east winds Saturday and Sunday the drift should be good around Idlewild out to the river. Maybe that school of stripers that hang around the north end of Indian Hills might be active.

·
SLIME ON THE LINE
2,339 Posts
nice report Loy,I think I will work the water turkeys over Saturday up by Waterwood.
May even get a Striper or two to play,Or driftfishing around Palmetto ? Decisions decsions !!!

·
12,595 Posts
db, are the water turkeys using the towers as a roost?

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is hard to decided today, I called my party last night and we are going to drift the main lake for cats.
Somebody go up white rock and give us a report!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
BTW with 5 mph east winds Saturday and Sunday the drift should be good around Idlewild out to the river. Maybe that school of stripers that hang around the north end of Indian Hills might be active.
The last time I drifted there, I caught an old trotline and fought it for 20 minutes, thinking I had a monster. After that, I caught nothing. I catch tons on my trotlines out there, but couldn't get a bite, drifting. We were out there yeserday and saw the water turkeys by the hundreds corraling up shad in the creek channel. So the bait is there. Could have just been an off day for drifting.

Also haven't caught any stripers on my trotline like I usually do up there. Haven't heard of anyone catching any either other than Dbullard north of the bridge. maybe they're on their way north.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts