2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a late start today with the rain all morning and it was past 1:00 when I rousted Lee out for some catfish drifting.
It was looking perfect for that, until we stopped the boat. It went from a good drift wind to nothing and an eerie fog

crept out from the North end, real slow, too slow. Da da dum...
Then Lee said "look at the stripers schooling!" and it was on.
We pulled up twenty minuets worth of catfish preparation and got on plane, I could tell the motor bothered them from very far away so I eased up as slow as I could without going crazy watching the gulls dive and fish explode.
Finally we there and the fish go down. We blind cast around and boom! Right at the back of the boat I hook up with a 20" striper using a slab. I told Lee to cast there and just dangle it and bam! He gets bit. I get another casting back behind us then they show up on top off a ways. We chase them and get into them again.
We finished with 2 keepers a piece and one 18.5" throwback. The fish were absolute piggy fat for their size(all about 20") and feed like demons for 45 minuets hitting hard and fighting hard.
Then it was over, just as suddenly as it started.
We started noticing that is was cold out about then, and came home.
SS

Attachments

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were beautiful fish. Lee and me both kept opening the cooler to admire them after it was over, the fattest stripers I have ever seen that were not brooding females, and they had exceptional color to them. All of them were coughing up shad the size of a slab when they were caught.

·
Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!!
2,944 Posts
WTG.....very nice.....

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, the water quality is terrific on the South end of the lake. Really hard to believe that it has cleared so well after the mud storm it took the last couple of months. It must be the pull of the gates flushing it out fast and I guess the water from the last couple of rains has not been extremely hard and maybe most of the loose mud has already been washed out.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Good fish Loy..The trout and reds down here have been nice..need to get up there and get after them freshies!

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Great day! A dollar will get you a donut I'll bet those fatties are the 17" throw backs from last summer . The cold weather and abundant food supply suits them well.
By May they will be the class of 2010. I can hear Meadowlark grinning from here.

Now what do you do? As I said in another post you will be chasing every thing. DB and I figured you will be crappie drifting for blue stripers all around Riverside Pine Island State Park on Kickapoo White creek. LOL<G>

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have this tendency to go back to the last well. Reel Fishy and I are going try for them again today, drifting for blue/crappie/stripers, in Beacon's boat slips.
It's gotta be those thousands of 17.5" stripers that were hitting everything in sight over the summer with another couple of inches on them, looks like a few survived being caught and released.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts