2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dbullard, Nick, and myself went crappie fishing this afternoon up Kickapoo Creek. This was the first time I have fished the evening since they began this unbelievable bite, and I wondered if it was as good as the morning.
It was not for us, although they were pretty much biting the whole time, there were many small fish. We ended up with 29 keepers, some real nice ones. I bet we caught at least that many more small ones.
We started fishing a place I often go to and the fish were on a pretty good bite. They ranged from mostly too small to a good one about every three or four for the first hour and a half. To a good one every 6 or more. Every time we debated about moving, someone would catch a real nice one.
As it got late, all of the crappie armada left the junction of the creeks and we slipped in, anchored off over the best school we saw in 11' and fished.
They bit just like the day Mark and I fished, a couple of pecks, a long pause, a couple of more pecks. And if you don't let the fish put a bend in the rod and hook itself, it will get off.
Every fish we caught with a couple of exceptions were nice big slab crappie.
Nick caught the two best fish of the day with a very innovative rig.

I think it was a hook on bottom, a length of line then a leader with a jig head with a dead minnow, 3/8th oz I think he said, and then between the last two eyes of the rod a bobber that would let the line slide through, but indicate a strike very well. The fish hit the dead minnow. I think he came up with this to counter how light the crappie were biting.
That is a cool rig, and he caught those two big ole slabs when dbullard and me both were batting naught.
After that it was catch a nice big one or a long time with nothing going as the school made it's circuit around the pool of water.
Those crappie in that pool are awesome fish. They rule that pool of water where Kickapoo meets Rocky.

SS

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's 5:20 am and I am about to go hook the boat up and head out that way. Eveytime you talk about it, makes me want to go again. I guess you can say that I am an impulse fisherman. I'll be up there somewhere this morning.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Wow it is amazing to continue to hear the excellent crappie reports from Kickapoo. In my 30+ years fishin the lake I can never recall the crappie being this strong. Just a banner year for all species. Too bad i'm so busy at work I can't take advantage of it. Keep up the good work Loy.

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Hey Mark and Loy, what is this "work" thing these folks always use as an excuss for not fishing? If is more fun than fishing maybe we should get in on some of it. LOL<G>

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I caught just shy of my limit this morning. Looked like SS had them tuned in as I was driving by him and his fishing party this morning. He should have a great report. I saw a bunch of fish being caught out of the Redfin.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i took the kids this morning... I only caught two, but when it's just you and three kids 10,10, and 13yrs old in a small aluminum boat, it's not that easy to pay close attention to fishing... They were biting a little but the kids unfortunately didn't catch anything... We put in at Broken Arrow. Can't wait to give it another try one morning...

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slabseaker, the creek is about 5 to 10 in most places, but we fish the deep holes that are 20+ and fish most of the time at about 8 to 13'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts