2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blue cats love this nasty weather as much as ducks and crappie I think.
I went looking for big blues today and found them, but left the camera hooked up to the computer. So all I have a shot of is the 8 I kept. I caught 23 in all.
I caught big ones today , one was 35" one was 37" and one was 39". I lost several that bit the hook off of the leader. One of them came up top way out from the boat and rolled up on the line like it like was a shark and tail whipped the line until it broke.
I lost my roll of 40lb leader line and had to make do with 20lb test, it wasn't enough. Some of those big ones that got away must have swallowed the 13/0 circle hook deep when they hit as the leader was bit off way up the line a couple of times.
The big ones love this cold weather and the wind it seems. When I started I did not need a drift sock, but had out 2 and by the time I called it quits and it was still blowing me.7 to .9 mph.
I have been waiting to catch these big cats for a year, and now it's time to rock.
SS

Attachments

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drum was the best for the big ones, and shad caught a lot too. I loaded up on shad the other day at WRC, it was full of shad

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought you were done with fishing Gator gar? Longhorn daddy from what the other folks are saying it is still good. I am taking a trip out tomorrow and give it a go, I don't see why they would stop now.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Hey SS Ill be out of town starting tomorrow,(college graduations) but ill be looking foward to your report on fishing up at kickapoo.Sure looking foward to getting my hook wet again, its been a while

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I thought you were done with fishing Gator gar? Longhorn daddy from what the other folks are saying it is still good. I am taking a trip out tomorrow and give it a go, I don't see why they would stop now.
I've got a guided trip in the morning for some cats. I told the guy to bring both of his big coolers. He was talking about crappie fishing and wanting to go, so I gave him your number. Did he call???

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not that I know of Gator gar, hope you and the fellow load the boat, I bet you enjoy guiding for catfish. Good luck, catch me me some drum while your at it.

·
SLIME ON THE LINE
2,339 Posts
I've got a guided trip in the morning for some cats. I told the guy to bring both of his big coolers. He was talking about crappie fishing and wanting to go, so I gave him your number. Did he call???
Now your learning,the more fish you give away the less you got to clean!!!LOL

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice going SS! I sure would've liked to see those pics of the 35", 37" and 39 inchers. What would those weigh? Between 15 and 20 pounds a piece? I measured my leg (where my catfish hit) and that 14.11 I caught last week was close to 32" or 33". Yours had to be close to 20 lbs huh?

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah SH, according to the chart I use for length to weight they weighed about 18 lbs to about 25. Took a party out today and after crappie fishing we went driftinf and caught 2, one 30" and one about 6 lbs.
Although i need to get a scale because I think individuals vary a lot especially when full of eggs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts