2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took us a while to make the choice today about where to go. The crappie seem to be holding up in the creek, so we thought we would head up White Rock to check out the cat fishing.
With 19mph North winds whipping the lake into a cold froth I didn't think we would last long drifting the main lake.
Meadowlark had made the observation that the shad were up in the creeks and he was correct. A few throws of the net got bait for the day and we made the 30 minuet boat ride to the shoals.
With a decent current and shad in the creek we had high hopes for getting in some good R&R cats. But the shoals were full of leaves and debris that kept fouling the lines, so after spending way too much time there we made the decision to move down to the next good hole of water.
Right away I landed a 3.5 lb blue.

Then Lee caught a nice channel cat. The fish were biting light and we put out the spinning rod with just a hook and split shot to counter them. It paid off with a good 12lb blue for Lee, quite a fight on the spinning tackle and light line.

A few more blues and another good channel made the rest of the stringer and we were tired and cold.
The creek was very muddy up top, but getting clearer by the ramp on hwy 94 and down. It looked to me like there were some white bass on the sonar by the ramp and down towards White Rock City Marina, but we did not try for any today.
It looks like we missed the real good cat fishing by a couple of days judging from the high water mark on the brush.
The next rain and I'm going right after it to get in on the big fish.
SS

Attachments

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Looks like Lee out fished you...again.

Did you launch at the 94 bridge or farther south?

I got Virgil back for two weeks so we will be doing some drifting when the wind allows.

Can't read TRA lately. They have the lake at 131 and only 4000 cfs coming down the river but they are steady flowing 12000 plus. That flow will keep some current in the creeks and river because the water going out has to run in from some where.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sunbeam we launched at the hwy 94 ramp. We have a trip Friday, but I would be down for some drifting Saturday morning with you and Virgil, and I got some bait today.
Yeah, that guy keeps out fishing me and I will have to up the boat cleaning job for him.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I accessed the site today and the lake level was 131.30 discharge at 12900. Congrats on the cats Loy. What was the distance you traveled up the creek an how fast can you run?? Lots of stumps??

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's about a 40 minuet boat ride FA, and was cold today! You can run on plane for the first 20 minuets, then after you pass where Little White Rock enters the main creek(on the right going upstream) it is best to go idle speed the rest of the way, another 15 minuets at least. There is a sign on a cable across the creek pretty far up that says "Stay right" going up and "stay left" going down, do so because there is a gigantic boulder in the middle there. There is a place where there are rocks on one side of the creek.

Right out from this pampas grass are some sharp boulders, if you are going upstream stay to the left side because they continue out a ways in the creek. There are stumps along the sides of the creek all of the way, so stay to the middle. anytime you see trees down in the creek on both sides go slow as they trap logs across the middle.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Great pics and info SS. Plan to hit WRC in the spawn. Maybe we can hook up if i can find a day off during the week when it is right.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i am getting ready.... maybe soon we can hook up and go to white rock creek. I would like to give that a try this year. doubt if you want to get near me right now. I am contagious.....head cold. Not bad. just a simple head cold...but not fun either. Having to get tags for the boat and trailer. which is taking longer because they where in dad's name and i am having to get them changed.
save some for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts