2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

SS report 12-11 drifting blues

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  shadslinger 
#1 ·
I took a little time to check on the blue cats today, in between deer hunts. They were biting pretty good and did like Meadowlarks talapia pretty well, I caught 3 blues and 1 channel in the 2 hours I fished. I lost 1 at the boat all tangled in the drift sock and other lines, missed several good runs(had to retrain myself to let the circles do their stuff, too much perch jerking) and broke one off that found a log.
They were biting best in 30' of water drifting about .5 mph with 2 drift socks out all the way as the wind was a little nasty on the South side of the island. I would bounce between .9 and .5 just barley slow enough to drift for catching cats.
The main lake is looking a little better, still kinda brown, but clearing. We will probably get more rain and dirty it back up before it gets good and clear.
SS
P.S. The does do know that their season is closed, saw five dancing in the corn.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'll use my 1000th post to say "great report". Wish I could have made such a trip.
If this weather front gets by we may have a few good drift days.
I am afraid this has started as a harder winter than normal and may be tough on the fishing for several months to come. In 1972 the river muddied up in August and did not clear until mid May. We missed a whole white bass run.

#5 ·
Sorry you could not make it yesterday, we will go next chance Sunbeam. I have bait froze up and I think you will love it. Ity is really fun fishing, especially when one takes the rod down hard, you never know how big it will be.
I am going to make a run up to WRC for catfishing today the conditions are right to make a repeat of dbullard's awesome R&R blue. If I get him awake going to try to take him.

#8 ·
Sorry to hear the wife is under the weather db. Hope she makes a quick recovery.

It looks like "SS only" weather for a few days.
I was not on the forum when Ike came through. How many fish did SS catch that day? LOL <G>

#10 ·
Gearing up for the trophy blue cat season, one of my favorites. It is so much fun to drift along and then have a rod take a hard dive down and know its a monster blue. Lee and me fished for a few hours today and had the big mo on for a few minuets, a bad end eye scraped the line after a long battle it broke. Tough to take when you know its a hog!
Going back tomorrow with GF and dbullard and try some more. It's the time and I have developed some good spots, so I'm feeling good about landing some big girls tomorrow!
SS

#12 ·
It was a waterhaul today, very disappointing. The wind was 0 mph, so drifting was not in the cards. We stayed with it until about 1:00, never got enought wind to scoot us anywhere,
So it looks like another day of rain tomorrow, must be time to go to WHRC.

#17 ·
Here are the pics from yesterday. dbullard was slinging shad and had the most bites of the day.
Susan kept on ready, but stayed with reading a book and keeping warm most of the time.
The fog was thick you had to have gills to breath.
Went this morning with Lee and could not find bait anywhere, then got rained out. I'm fresh out of frozen talapia.
So I have to make a run below the dam and catch some good bait. Then I will be able to see if I can find those big cats.
I believe the rest of the week will be cold but better fishing days.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.