2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have been fishing when it was colder than today, if I did I didn't catch as many fish as I did today.
Mattsfishn was kind enough to brave the cold and give me a ride today, I thought he was crazy for going, I know I am.

As I was backing down the trailer on the ramp he started yelling "Get way over the right!" It didn't know it but the ramp had ice all on the left side.
We got launched without sliding the whole kit and caboodle into the river and started fishing, ice on the guides made it harder to feel the bite but we were into big white bass pretty quick.
It was a lot slower than the previous days but steady, soon other 2coolers started showing up, they are a bunch of fishing maniacs that's for sure. I could not believe they were out in the freezing weather fishing for white bass.
Matt was ready for the cold.

And so was I, so we sort of had this unspoken thing were we going to try for a limit.
The first 15 a piece came pretty quick, but we had to move to go for a hung up bait and made the move to the cable.
It was even colder there and ice formed twice as fast on the guides.
Soon we were both hung up on white bass #20 and they came at an agonizing slow rate after that.
Finally I boated # 25 and Matt was at 23, we decided that was good enough. With the temp at 27 and wind chill at 19, it was time to go to the house.
Matt's box.

My box, 25 white bass, 2 blue cats, 1 striper(19.5") and 1 crappie.

SS

Attachments

·
SLIME ON THE LINE
2,339 Posts
well I am glad you got to go fishing because you never go !! LoL Nice mess of fish you could have put them on ice to warm them up ..

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
It really was not that bad out today. In the picture with my boat you can see where I tied the anchor rope to the trolling motor. Well it is still there. The rope froze while we were out there. The minnows were not doing to good either. The water in the bucket for the minnows had turned into slush. We could have caught more fish if our rod tips and guide didn't feeze up with ice. It was still a good day and I enjoyed fishin with SS.

Matt

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could not have a better fishing partner than Matt, thanks for the ride out and the enjoyable day. It beat sitting at home by a long shot!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You two guys are hard core for sure. Great catch on a cold day. Salute to ya. Green to Mattfishing for taking the Man out.

·
Adrenaline Junkie *******
992 Posts
Great report! I am anxious about getting out there tomorrow and fishing with my buddy. He keeps me in stitches the whole time. LOL

·
Banned
764 Posts
Hey SS and Mattfishing you are sure right about the guides icing up I kept spraying mind with reel lube and it would help a bit but it wouldnt last long.I have to say i really enjoyed myself dispite the cold weather.I ended up with 10 hog whites i gave them to the people in the conoe.That lady in the conoe is a trooper

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" i gave them to the people in the canoe.That lady in the canoe is a trooper"

She sure was, she stayed hooked up for a while when it was hard to get a bite, she was using a shad body and just reeling slow. Her friend was catching them first and I was rooting hard for her to score. Once she did she got on a roll and seemed to having a good time despite the bitter cold in a canoe!

·
Registered
785 Posts
SS and Matsfishen that is hard core, deer season is finally over and I'm ready to get my boat out and start fishing, thanks for the report tonight, it's good to know that they are biting in this cold weather....Sunday should be fun if the water flow does not change....

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am just get back my room temp too LHD.
I want to be sure to say that both Matt and myself have many years of fishing below the Livingston dam experience between us.
And we were both exhibiting careful fishing behaviors through out the trip. We stood up slow, made use of grabrails, and were extra cautious when ever we moved around.
Cold water is deadly and not to be trifled with, and below the dam can become treacherous in an instant on any day.
So enjoy these fine fishing days. Be careful and know your limits and buddy up when you can back there.
It was a lot of fun, a lot of fun. Like Matt said at one time, "well we did it, mostly because we wanted to see if we could."

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
duhunter if I go when it's that cold again I will use that tip, hopefully the bad cold will be gone by next week and we get back to fishing in comfortable 40 degree weather!
I caught about 21 of my whites on a either a crank bait or a jig and the other on minnows cast out for cat fish. The 5/0 circle hooks would just get them on the line like the catfish. I used about 3 minnows crushed up on a hook with that rig.
Matt was using a crank bait, that's why they call him" Mr. Crankbait! "
Matt, I just iced down my catch until tomorrow and realized how big the fish were. All of them were very nice fish. I going to take them to Austin tomorrow and let my friend's Polynesian baby cook some up.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
That was Jeff aka HGX FISHERMAN and his wife in the canoe. His wife is a real trooper for going with him today. They both looked like they were having fun catching fish even though it was a little cold outside.
SS, I put some ice on my fish also and need to get some pliers and try to untie my anchor rope. I may plug in a light and lay it next to it to thaw out.

Matt

·
Registered
14,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I caught 4 white bass, 2 blue cats, and that 1 crappie using minnows on a couple of catfish rods with circle hooks, they just got on there along the way. The crappie was the last fish I caught, it was on a catfish rod and I didn't even know it.
So you can say really that Matt out fished me using 1 rod. He jumped out quick and was the first to catch fish, when you go white bass fishing with Matt, you better take your A game.
Matt seemed like,"yeah it's a bit cool" but I had to check deep in my bowels to see if I wanted to go fishing. I am really in awe that he would go again today after yesterday and having first hand knowledge of how bad it will be!!!
It occurred to that when I was talking about how to move in a boat when it's cold,...I was just describing how "Senior members" of 2cool get around. lol!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts