2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with Meadowlark today below the dam, it was a lot different today only 3 boats when we got there.
We started catching white bass immediately and in less than 2 hours had our 50, 3 blues that hit a crank bait and one crappie.

We caught and released a lot more white bass trying to catch crappie, but could not catch anymore. We did try the long rods briefly and caught a white bass every cast trying for for stripers, Larry had a good fish on but got hung up and lost the cork, shortly after that I lost one as well. So we gave up on the long guns and tried for crappie again
We caught and released another truck load of white bass and then noticed it was getting colder, yep it was time to come in and call it a day.
It was a lot of fun, the fish are still on a red hot bite.
I think Meadowlark is just as fanatic about fishing as I am, no, really!
SS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Good report. Those are some really big whites !! It is amazing how a crankbait will catch just about anything down there. I had fished so much last week and 2 days already this week I needed to do some things around here. Maybe tomorrow or I will take a chance on staurday just to see who is tough enough. I am still thinkin about the boat show. There may not be 3 boats down there saturday. I am sure there will be a few bank fishermen down there with a fire going.

Matt

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,908 Posts
It is amazing, Matt, that big old blue cats will inhale a crankbait. We may have had a school of them move through today with birds following. They nailed a crankbait, just nailed it. One hit it just as the crank hit the water...if blues were always like that, I'd have to re-evaluate my thoughts on them.

My boat trailer suffered a broken support bracket today...but still under warranty so left it at Quality Marine. I'm off the water for a few days....but if I can't stand it will try launching the pontoon below the dam...or maybe the river. Its time to go fishing whenever you can. Doesn't get better than this.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Meadowlark I have someone wanting to go saturday but I don't know if the young fella (boomhauer) can take it or I would invite you. If you don't get your trailer fixed soon you are more than welcome to ride with me. I may not be as good as you but I have been know to catch a few sometimes.

Matt

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
is it worth the effort to fish for them off the bank? I would like to take my son on saturday or sunday but we ain't got no boat.

That's a nice cooler full of whites. I miss crappie and white bass fishing.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I did see people catching them from the bank. Most of the bank people had long rods casting and a few wading. I was in casting range of the old abandoned boat ramp and was catching whites when I was trying to catch crappie.

Matt

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you bank fish by the old ferry pilings you can get in on some action with casting corks and a pet spoon or tandem jigs.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
So what is this magical lure that you select few keep talking about. Would you be so kind as to share it with the working stiffs that can't get on the water every day to fish?

·
Adrenaline Junkie *******
992 Posts
Meadowlark I have someone wanting to go saturday but I don't know if the young fella (boomhauer) can take it or I would invite you. If you don't get your trailer fixed soon you are more than welcome to ride with me. I may not be as good as you but I have been know to catch a few sometimes.

Matt
Matt I got what it takes to handle that cold weather. LOL I worry more about you just because you are older than me. LOL:p I will bring my deer blind heater for you if needed. I know you will catch more fish than me but I can handle it and it will be fun. Please feel sorry for me as I am completely out of fish with the exception of those Crappie we caught last week.

Awesome report & catch SS!

Robby

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
HEATER, I don't need no stinkin heater. I catch fish fast enough to keep me warm. LOL ! You can bring your heater and I will bring my heater in case you need it for backup. Just don't let this OLD man fool you. I don't need the fish, I filleted 50 whites and 10 slab crappie yesterday but I do enjoy showing you youngsters how to "CATCH" fish. LOL !

Matt

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's awesome guys!! Glad you got into em AGAIN!! Wish I could take two days off in a row but I kinda need my job. ; )

·
Banned
764 Posts
Got to the dam @ 2 this afternoon,there were maybe 10 boats had my limit of whites by 3:30 caught them using a roadrunner wiyh a red head and white body. caught 3 undersize strippers that put up a really good fight .It was cold put worth it.Will try it again tomorrow

·
Miami Dol-Phan
2,148 Posts
How big were the crankbaits? Man tomorrow sounds good, but too cold for my blood. May have to wait till next week. Great report and pics as usual Loy. Keep em coming

1 - 20 of 60 Posts