2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gator gar and I took off for some fishing below the dam today about 9:30, I thought we were crazy as we met in Lowe's parking lot and I could see the flag across the street whipping around with the North wind at about 12mph and the feel like temp must have been 20 degrees, but you never know unless you go.
So we went, and after spending a little time looking it over and trolling to find a good school we got settled about half back to the ramps from the cable and tore the white bass up.
Big white bass,

fishing a crank bait very slow on the bottom, sometimes letting it sit then cranking it for a couple of feet. Then wham! a big ole river hog would slam it more times than not.
In less than 2 hours we had fifty, and then we took a look at the tube to see if any crappie were hitting. Things didn't look to promising there and we were pretty cold by then, even though the the sun was shinning and warming things up we left for the house, the warm house.
The water looks great, 3 gates open, and white bass actively spawning, some of the males would milt in the boat when brought over. They were mighty hungry, and hitting like freight trains.
SS

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!! Heck of a job guys, heck of a job!! That river looks awesome! Can't wait till I get to go down there.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
2010 is starting just like all of 2009. Here I sit while everyone catches the fish. I guess someone needs to watch.

Nice catch!

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
Gator Gar and Shadslinger in one boat. That would be the epitome of the Dynamic Duo.
Nice catch fellows. It is hard to tell but looks like a good crowd up at the cable line.
BTW Who cleaned the fish. I'll bet it was GG.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Several times today I marveled at how we could have such incredible action on the worst weather day you could imagine. That is the beauty of fishing below the dam, the worse conditions are for the lake they will matter little below the dam. It is determined by other more strong factors, mostly highly o2 saturated water and plenty of shad, and the actual fishing by the discharge dynamics of the recent past and the immediate time you go fishing.
When it comes together it is the best freshwater fishing I have ever seen.
I kept 10 and I'm going to clean them, no more. When I left GG he was already waving folks over and giving away fish in the parking lot. The first guy's eye's nearly popped out when Mark opend the cooler for him to get some.
When the white bass start like this it looks very promising, but the old too much rain can spoil it all quick, so go fishing now!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I killed them about the same place yesterday on a small crankbait, low and slow. There are some really big whites down there. I will be back down there tomorrow to see about getting me some and some more of those black crappie.

Matt

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok, it is official. My paw-in-law and I ARE going tomorrow. Just got permission from the wives so we should be down there by 9am. I just hope no one on this forum works with me cause I'm calling in. If anyone sees two guys in a white Hydrosport fish&ski with a black 90 hp Evinrude, holler at me. I'll be in my camo coveralls. MAN, I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight!!!!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I will be down there tomorrow in a white 18 ft Kenner. No seat on the front deck. Just me sittin on a cooler haullin in whites. I will look for you. I will not get there until 9 or 10. With the whites bittin this good there is no use in me goin out so early in the cold.

Matt

·
Registered Users-PM plus
8,910 Posts
Yep, sounds just like yesterday. The whites were back from the cable a good bit. Also a big school of them on the west side of the flow up in fairly shallow water.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Gator Gar and Shadslinger in one boat. That would be the epitome of the Dynamic Duo.
Nice catch fellows. It is hard to tell but looks like a good crowd up at the cable line.
BTW Who cleaned the fish. I'll bet it was GG.
I didn't want to say it, but SS out fished me 3-1 maybe 4-1. He was snatching their lips off. There were only 4 boats up there this morning and one of those was us. 2 guys left saying that we should get in that shallow water on the west side where they were. Said they limited out and were heading in. I think SS caught two hogs as they were driving by. Wasn't any need in moving for us.

The pic with the sun out, was when we left. You should have seen the conditions when we got there. I had on two coats and borrowed gloves and a hood for my head, from SS. and was still about ready to just say the heck with it.

If you would have told me we were going to catch the amount of fish we caught in the short amount of timeframe we caught them in, I would of bet against it. It was brutal out there.

SS said those boats were there for a reason. THE FISH WERE BITING!!! If not they would have already called it quits and he was right.

I didn't clean all these fish. Like he said, I started giving them away out of the box. I did want to keep about 10 or 12 but other than the guy in the parking lot, the rest went to some people I knew, that would welcome a good mess of fish.

Ol SS is a hardcore fisherman. I'll give him that. I can stand the cold and I was ready to throw in the towel before we even started. I'm certainly glad he gave me that little push to go ahead and go.

In my mind, he is fish crazy. All he talked about was fish on the way there, in the boat and on the way home. Fish conditions, water level, Wind, this, that and the other. I'm bringing ear plugs from now on.

On the other hand....He knows how to find them, park next to them, or on top of them and then, catch the fire out of some fish. I deffinately owe the success of the trip to him, cause I was out there blind as a bat, as to what was going on and what to do.

Did I mention it was fun????

·
GRAY GHOST HUNTER
863 Posts
Great CAtch! YOUR RIGHT SHADSLINGER HAS AGOOD FEVER REAL BAD!! AND I THINK ITS CONTAGIOUS!!!!! gREEN TO YALL!

·
SLIME ON THE LINE
2,339 Posts
man I am glad my buddies got into the fish while I was working!! Makes me feel good that I missed out on the action.I can't believe they would torture me like this!! I hope they froze their butts off because that is the only justice for the crime!! LOL

Keep up the good work boys.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Y'all should have seen GG's first rig,....like a catfisherman's, some lead,... leader's,... 3 way swivel, too bad he didn't have a jug to put on it. And he kept distracting me, talking about something that was not fishing,....?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Now come on GG, you better than to talk to SS about anything besides fishing. Same on you! haha.

So SS,
You gonna be back out there in the morning with me and Mattsfishin?

·
Fun Ain't Cheap
3,423 Posts
The report that yall gave is awesome, and I really appreciate you sharing your info and stories, GG you are right about SS, he is one of the best fisherman that I know and probably ever will, but what it takes to be the kind of fisherman he is is not only the fish catching ability but the knowledge and time he spends with you and your kids to teach them, he is one fine fella and glad to call him a friend, on a lighter note did you have to shake him a few times when he started to freeze up with the cold weather, LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts