2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fishing in the river is great, I went today with BEC. We have been trying to go together for a year or more, finally got it together today and had a very good time.
I figured Ken catches lots of white bass and not that many crappie so we concentrated on them, boated 36 or 38 in about 3 hours fishing. Very nice crappie.
We then went to a couple of spots white bass fishing and I tried to catfish. The only blues I caught were either fool hooked or bit a jig. We did catch plenty of white bass. It has slowed down some from the furious pace it was a few days ago. I think there have been a couple of tons of white bass caught below the dam in the last week.
Ken is putting some video toghter he took today, when he is down i'll link to youtube, maybe.
SS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Looks like you guys had fun and it looks like there was not that many boats down there today. I didn't see a lot of boats in the picture. I need to get me a top for my boat like yours. It would be nice on days like today and during the summer. I have a ******* top but I would like to get with the times.
SS, if you need some of those lures like yesterday I have about 300 (6 + bags of 50)or more I can share with you. No need to buy more.

Matt

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Hey Mr. Loy leave me some of them crappie for the next time I get up there....lol OSunds like ya;ll had a good time. I stayed at home and cleaned fish and built a new cleaning table.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Hey SS i caught 2 nice size blues today on minnows and we ended up wih 27 whites and 1 stripper. Matt i might be wrong but i think i counted 10 boats.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It looks like everyone is fishing from a boat. Can you catch some white bass if you fish along the banks. Thinking of coming up this Sunday after the rain to give it a try! Any tips would be much appreciative!

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There were not that many boats today, when we started there was only 2 or 3. Like LHD said at the most there were about 10.
FS, good luck on the crappie your next trip out. They bite so soft it feels more like you have picked up a piece of grass or something on your lure, or just kind of heavy. It took me a while but I learned to set the hook right then and it started paying off.
Matt thanks and I will sure get some from you next time I see you.
Let's hope for just a little rain, not enough for them to open the gates anymore. I know nothing lasts forever, but i sure don't want this great fishing to stop.

·
GRAY GHOST HUNTER
863 Posts
Great Report Loy, gonna try an make a trip sunday! Hope the rain dont wash it out by then , may try Kickapoo.

·
Adrenaline Junkie *******
992 Posts
Great report & pics SS. I hope it does not slow down to much. I am hoping to be there sunday or monday depending on the water shed not the rain.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
There were not that many boats today, when we started there was only 2 or 3. Like LHD said at the most there were about 10.
FS, good luck on the crappie your next trip out. They bite so soft it feels more like you have picked up a piece of grass or something on your lure, or just kind of heavy. It took me a while but I learned to set the hook right then and it started paying off.
Matt thanks and I will sure get some from you next time I see you.
Let's hope for just a little rain, not enough for them to open the gates anymore. I know nothing lasts forever, but i sure don't want this great fishing to stop.
Hey Loy,

The crappie bite yesterday was identical but one thing that helped me was the fact that I was spooled with the Power Pro braid. Since there was no stretch, I could instantly tell when there was a bite. I was using the 10lb test but it's 2lb diameter. I don't own stock in the company, but I do believe in the product. Try it some time and let me know what you think. I don't use braid for every application, but I really like it for white bass. Turns out it's pretty good for crappie, too.

Justin

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Texcajun, the day we went with you i noticed the crappie showed a strong preference for hitting that line as opposed to the line Lee and me were using, that being on a day when it was hard to get a bite.
I bet you can tell when they pick it up better on the soft bite.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
hey SS i haven't forget you. I ve been working on getting that video together that we did. It speaks louder than words.

What a blast! I really enjoyed going fishing with you today. I'll post a thread once I get this thing upload on youtube.......
whew...I am tired. Its been a long day.

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cowboy, I just got back from the state park and cleaned 16 crappie we caught today and 25 from yesterday and 5 blue cats, so we had more crappie than I thought. And I am beat!! I will barley be able to fish tomorrow.
It was good fun today, let's go again soon.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Surprise Surprise Loy wacked em again. Very nice report. Have room for a loaner tomorrow??? LOL My fillet knife is itchin for some crappie.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
SS it takes a little getting used to, cause you wind up feeling everything, but eventually you learn what's a bite and what isn't. And it doesn't require respooling near as often as mono. Sure wish I could get out there as often as you fells do!

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Texcajun, early this summer I took Leepaul57 and a friend of his jigging at the hump, it was awesome fishing. You could not get a spoon to the bottom for white bass smacking it all around. Thomas was having a hard time hooking up, so after I caught several i traded rods with him. Sometimes if you see someone catch fish on a rod and reel and you know it can be done you have confidence in it to catch fish. So i traded with him, he had braided line and a super rod with a high dollar reel. All things I am not used to, he and Paul laughed a lot at me trying to set the hook with too much information. I looked like I was sword fighting, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Last year I took a friend above L Conroe and the exact thing happen to me. I had caught 7~8 whites and he had caught nothing. I asked him to switch rods and proceeded to continued to catch 'em while he was setting the hook on everything. He asked for his rod back, but I'm sorry to say, he still didn't catch any that day. Braid is not for all applications. Clear water is one place I won't use it. Some of our local ponds run too clear for it. Fortunately most of the local creeks run off color so it doesn't matter as much there. I liked it because I didn't want to lose a ton of jigs every year, and now I don't. Usually just straighten out the hooks which can easily be bent back. Heck, I've broken the eyes off of jigs before the line snapped quite a few times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts