2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I can mask the boat and paint it with a spray gun faster and better than I can with a roller. So what should I use? I would think I would need a gravity feed, especially if I use the textured Durabak. I assume I would need a large nozzle openning. How large? Where would I get it? Would a 2mm nozzle be good enough for thinned smooth Durabak?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got these instructions from Durabak

SPRAY APPLICATION
DURABAK™ can be sprayed using a simple shutz gun, a hopper gun, or professional spray equipment. Make sure to thoroughly mix DURABAK™. A drill with a mixing adaptor works best. DURABAK™ should flow through the spraygun easily and can be thinned with xylene.
1. COTE-L's shutz gun with a 1/4" orifice (and no filter), attached to a 45-60 PSI compressor
• Attach spray gun to compressor air line, giving pressure of 40 to 60 psi.

2. Use a conventional spray gun, such as Binks #2001 gun, with the following specifications, or equivalent: 67 fluid nozzle; 567 fluid needle; 67 PB air cap; heavy-duty (#54-1372) needle spring; 2-28 teflon fluid packing; 1/2" I.D. (#71-283) fluid hose with 3/8" connectors (#72-1333), and 3/8" I.D. air line with 1/4" connectors (#71-1355).
• To remove contaminants from the air line, use Oil & Water extractors mounted at the pressure tank.

3. Sears Craftsman No. 15524 (or De Vilbiss AS 300) with external mix nozzle. Requires 7 CFM. Use compressor with 9 CFM at 50 psi. (For more information call De Vilbiss Air Power Tools at (901) 423-7983.)

4. Airless spraygun: Graco Bulldog 33:1 with air intake pressure = 6-7 bar (90-100psi). Outlet pressure = 100 bar (+/- 3000 psi). Tip: 0.039 ins (ie 35-39 thou).

Delivery rate: 2.9 Gallons per minute.
5. For smooth DURABAK™, Graco Bulldog 33:1 with 21-23 thou. tip.
• Use a respirator with chemical absorbing cartridges, such as Binks #40-128.
• Before starting the job, spray a few short bursts away from the surface to test that everything is working properly.
• If DURABAK™ does not spray easily and evenly, thin with Xylene.
• Spray an even coat over the entire surface to be covered. Be careful not to apply coat too thickly.
• When surface becomes tacky -- between 20 minutes and one hour, depending on weather conditions --- spray second coat. Extreme climactic conditions of heat, humidity and cold can shorten or lengthen this period.
• Intercoat / curing time can be significantly shortened by use of special accelerator (see section on accelerator).

IMPORTANT ADVICE!

• Remove any over-spray immediately with Xylene. Once cured, DURABAK™ is very difficult to remove.
• Solvents released when spraying are flammable. Observe all fire precautions. Proper ventilation is required.
• Clean spray gun between coats and immediately after job is completed. Use only Xylene.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I used Tuffcoat UT-100F on the inside of my boat. I used the shutz spray gun from Habor Frieght that was about $30.00. It is messy. Cover up, tape off and plan for the mess. The Tuffcoat was water soluable untill it dried. What ever you get the Durabac on that is not quickly cleaned off Zylene will not come off. Wear a resperator have rags and a backup roller available to smooth out excess coating. Have someone there with you to help because when something goes wrong it can get messy. My gloves were covered with tuffcoat in no time, so I was constantly taking my gloves off to do something or getting another pair of gloves ect...

Good Luck, Ken

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
kraymond said:
I used Tuffcoat UT-100F on the inside of my boat. I used the shutz spray gun from Habor Frieght that was about $30.00. It is messy. Cover up, tape off and plan for the mess. The Tuffcoat was water soluable untill it dried. What ever you get the Durabac on that is not quickly cleaned off Zylene will not come off. Wear a resperator have rags and a backup roller available to smooth out excess coating. Have someone there with you to help because when something goes wrong it can get messy. My gloves were covered with tuffcoat in no time, so I was constantly taking my gloves off to do something or getting another pair of gloves ect...

Good Luck, Ken
Thanks for the advice.

I was looking in Harbor Frieght this weekend and didn't see a schutz gun, but I was looking where they keep the auto-paint guns.

It's not anywhere on their website. I called them and they couldn't find what I was talking about.

do you have the part number for the gun?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts