2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
aaaahhhhh............ time for the quarterly spot post again so soon?

where does the time go!..........

spot = fun toy

in leau of epirb? = foolish IMO

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I guess i missed the quarterly post.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
There might be a difference....

in the responses you get here from someone with a big very expensive boat like a +- 30 foot cat, sportfisher, triple OB contender etc. (epirb nominal cost in relation thereto) and someone (like me) with a sub 25 foot boat. Some capts. here have electronics on their boat worth more than my whole boat. Some own boats worth more than my canal home. Not trying to start a class war. Just an observation that sometimes the advice here can be pretty expensive. For what its worth you are not the only one considering the Spot type units. And apparently the Spot makers are selling a whole lot of those units.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
aaaahhhhh............ time for the quarterly spot post again so soon?

where does the time go!..........

spot = fun toy

in leau of epirb? = foolish IMO
LMAO!!! I was thinking the same thing. Kinda like the what type of gun do you carry thread.:spineyes:

Big type in SPOT in the search function, you should find some info in there.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Heres a couple past threads

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=165548&highlight=spot+gps+device

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=228725&highlight=spot+gps+device

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=233165&highlight=spot+gps+device

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=235684&highlight=spot+gps+device

SPOT is cool for the tracking feature. My wife can track me all the way out to Boomvang and back. I can send the Im ok message, but it is no substitute for an Eprib. Both are needed. They are not a fool proof way of coming home. We have seen where a Epirb was set off at 10pm and the party wasnt rescued till 6am. If you can afford to venture offshore, then an Eprib and Spot should not be out of your budget.

Attachments

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,836 Posts
JB, I agree. A year ago I spent $629.99 for a comparable PLB. Kicking myself right now.

Brandon

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
Just ordered the PLB 210

On sale at Defender for $269.99. I got the two pack (one black one yellow) floating cases for $19.99. Shipping $9.30. Total $299.28 out the door. www.defender.com.

I have been thinking about this for a while, read the specs vis a vis my situation/use and pulled the trigger.

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
last i checked, they were giving those 'spot's away for free (that right thar oughta tell you sumpin') and i passed on'em then....... all you woulda had to pay for is the service

and the BS about big boats outclassing little boats is bassackwards imo....... the littler your dingy is/the bigger the EPIRB oughta to be

of course if your little dingy and it's passengers ain't worth the xtra nickle..... disregard everything i've said in this thread

only your hairdresser knows for sure

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
Also, regarding the Spots, there are two different ones. Heres the differences. The top answer is for SPOT 1. I couldnt get it to paste up correctly. Heres the link incase you cant figure out the differences.

SPOT Feature Comparison Chart / SPOT-1 vs SPOT-2
SPOT-1
SPOT-2
Colors
Orange​
Orange, Silver​
Check In / OK
Yes​
Yes​
Help
Yes​
Yes - with Button Cover​
Emergency
Yes​
Yes -with Button Cover​
Tracking
Yes​
Yes - Independent Button​
Replaceable Help/Emergency Button Covers
No​
Yes​
GPS LED Indicator
No​
Yes​
Message Sent LED Indicator
No​
Yes​
Additional Message Button
No​
Yes​
Tracking Message Queuing
No​
Yes​
Universal ICON's
No​
Yes​
Zip Tie Slots
No​
Yes​
Standard Carrying Case
No​
Yes​
Carabineer
No​
Yes​
Ergonomic Grip
No​
Yes​
Weight 7.37oz 5.2 oz Size 1.75" x 4.38" x 2.75" 3.7" x 2.6" x 1" GPS Chipset Numerex UBLOX Antenna std Better performance in foliage Acquisition std Faster GPS Fix Time

In regards to Spot Vs Epirb? Well, the main thing is HAVE AT LEAST ONE OF'M, Both would be better. In regards to cost, Ask Santa to bring you one,
Either device will bring in more Coast guard choppers than a new xmas ( or birthday) rod n reel that cost the same or more or having two 6/0+ size reels filled with Jerry Brown braid...

Main suggestion I could give is, at least get one of them, you owe it to your family at home waiting for your safe return home after a day on the water, the hug alone will be well worth it.

Hog

·
Registered
127 Posts
On a trip through British Columbia recently, my wife and I encountered a gentlemen in distress on the highway, sixty miles or so from nearest town. His wife had lost control of her ATV on an old mining camp trail an hour off the highway and was upside down in a creek. The cell phones had no service. Anyway, we deployed the emergency function on our SPOT locator and an RMC trooper was there in under 10 minutes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the man had been carrying a SPOT locator, he could have deployed emergency signal at the scene of the accident, which was an hour up the trail from the highway, and possibly saved the live of his spouse.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
SPOT is not an equivalent safety item to an EPIRB. If you want to use a SPOT for info so family and friends can see where you are then great, if you think it substitutes for an EPIRB then Darwinian logic applies.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
This is the attitude I'm complaining of.

SPOT is not an equivalent safety item to an EPIRB. If you want to use a SPOT for info so family and friends can see where you are then great, if you think it substitutes for an EPIRB then Darwinian logic applies.
I wonder what percentage of small, non-commercial fishing boats in the GOM have either? Its kind of like the I-phone. Tech junkies wait in line to get the first one...others take longer to decide. Were all fishermen idiots who fished in the GOM before either device existed?

So, those of you who have the devices, be more considerate on those who don't yet. Encourgage and advise. Don't disparage and mock.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Its only money

How much the boat originally cost doesn't matter when it heads to bottom. When your bobbing in the water, your pretty well equal to the next guy.-Mike
Good point! Also, they are two different things. One means you are going down. The other is a good way to see if your "float plan" is on track by a
friend or loved one. Both are saftey items. Rik

·
Goin' South
833 Posts
Way too risky in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOT is cool for the tracking feature. My "wife can track me" all the way out to Boomvang and back.

Way too risky in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friends would never forgive me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What if you left that thing on in your truck one night while you were out with the boys?? Can't think of a worse way to go. Would rather drown at sea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts