2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Sportsman trailers is out of business? Wow. I've been putting off going up there to get some hubs for my 1996 Sportsman Trailer. Guess I waited too long!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Always try and buy local. I guess the next local is McClain Trailers in Houston.

·
Reel Easy
2,676 Posts
Darn it..I need a new axle for my trailer..I guess I'll have to check in with McClain and see if they can provide it.

·
Fisher of Men
3,703 Posts
Polar Service center is the wholesaler and supplier. 281-459-6400 talk to reuben or alex and they will direct you
Old 90 at E Sam Houston Prky

Be sure and have your bearing combo so they will know what you have or the info off the tag , Just in case.

Sure hate to hear Slade and them are out of business.:(

·
No fish in West Bay
5,634 Posts
Two other places to check would be Specialty Aluminum Works in Victoria SAW trailers, they bought the Sportsman name and all the drawings they had. Talk with Jack or Slade.

You can also try Driftwood trailers in Kemah off of Anders Lane. They only do aluminum trailers but deifnitely quality work.

·
Charter Member
5,926 Posts
MCClain built a new shop over near me on I-10 (east side). I forgot exactly where.
Mike

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Wow, talk about the end of an era. I remember the Sportsman logo on my dad's boat trailer when I was a kid. Very upsetting news.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Wow, talk about the end of an era. I remember the Sportsman logo on my dad's boat trailer when I was a kid. Very upsetting news.
Yeah, I grew up with 3 of the Mitchell kids.. don't know what happened but I know one of the kids took over some years back... That place was an eyesore but an icon for Santa Fe.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Sure hate to hear that. Haven't bought much from them in recent years but service was great. I had a Sportsman with the lift up center rollers back in the 70's that was probably the best trailer I ever owned. Installed an electric winch and I could walk to the end of the trailer, hook on to my 19'6 Aquasport and set the bow on the first roller and turn on the winch. The boat could be turned up to 90 degrees and it would swing straight and come up perfectly centered on the trailer. Very easy to load and unload single handed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sure hate to hear that. Haven't bought much from them in recent years but service was great. I had a Sportsman with the lift up center rollers back in the 70's that was probably the best trailer I ever owned. Installed an electric winch and I could walk to the end of the trailer, hook on to my 19'6 Aquasport and set the bow on the first roller and turn on the winch. The boat could be turned up to 90 degrees and it would swing straight and come up perfectly centered on the trailer. Very easy to load and unload single handed.
WOW, does that bring back some memories! I had the same 19.6 boat and Sportsman trailer! I loved that boat! I sold it 11 years ago when I bought my Parker. I fished that boat over 15 years! I made many trips offshore to the Held banks in that boat! I pulled up to Sportsman and had the old fellow from the parts dept. come out and figure out everything I needed to completely rebuild the trailer. That must have been 1982. Sorry to see them go.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
bought many trailers from them. hate to hear they are gone. the problems began for them when they split sportsman trailers and steelco. great people that worked there. will be missed.

·
Gulf Sport Adventures Charters and more
251 Posts
sportsman built a great trailer...... I never had good results from mclain. everything I had made from them fell apart. sorry to hear that sportsman is gone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts