2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the thread going on on the Bluewater Forum, I'm wondering what's acceptable for Bay fishing.

When going out on a trip, I usually ask for $20 from each person on the boat. I have an 18' Baystealth, and usually take only one or two other people with me. A normal trip costs me about $100 (for gas and bait), so I end up paying for most of the trip myself. How do you split costs?

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I would say even stevens (with everyone providing their own refreshments/bait)

I would even say the owner gets a break if it is the same buddies that go fishing with him, considering boat maintenance,tow vehicle fuel etc.

40$-50$ is cheap to me to get to spend a day in the water with buddies.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I usually end up paying for gas in the boat/truck. I figure if I'm fishing alone, I have to pay it anyway. I usually take 2-3 people on a trip and they pay for bait, food, beer, etc. I don't care how they split it up, that's between them. Works fine for me.

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
My buddy and I join our mutual friend at his ICW cabin out of Arroyo City 3 or 4 times a year for a 3 day fishing trip.

My buddy and I split the cost of all the fuel and oil for his boat, as well as the food and drinks cost for 4 for the trip.

Right before we leave on the last day, my buddy and I always leave $50 each in the cabin's 'poker' jar to help with any maintenance needed for the cabin.

We have to sneak it in, otherwise we'd have to fight to give it to him.

It's not as much as an offshore, but I use the same principle. I contribute at least my share of the expense and work.

·
11,765 Posts
TroutSnatcher said:
I usually end up paying for gas in the boat/truck. I figure if I'm fishing alone, I have to pay it anyway. I usually take 2-3 people on a trip and they pay for bait, food, beer, etc. I don't care how they split it up, that's between them. Works fine for me.
Same here. But $20 seems to be a fair enough price.

·
Keep on Keeping on....
1,824 Posts
I like the way Trey Ganem does it, you fish and then fill up after your done and then split that amongst the number of guys you have. I always do it in advance, but since I like his method I will be using it more. The way I used to look at it is if I put my friends on great fish and they had a good time, my trip should be free since I pay the boat pmt and insurance etc... There are only a few people left that see it that way. Thanks Wesley for being one of them hehehe! If you fish out of their boat it should be the same way, someone covering their portion of gas. Food is usually even steven, and adult beverages, well you know how that goes....

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
It depends on the people that go with me, if they have their own boat and its a matter of taking mine out of convienence we split the costs 50/50. If its someone that doesn't fish down there or doesn't have a boat that I take they cover the boat gas and bait. I cover truck gas and the place to stay in Port A. Seems to have worked for me. They help clean up the boat and tackle after the trip. We split ice and food 50/50, I usually throw bottle water and gatorade in the boat, they have to bring their own drinks.

·
Keep on Keeping on....
1,824 Posts
$20? at these gas prices? Unless your running a trolling motor I would think $50 would be fair. Come on, a guide would be about 200-300 each. That is not a lot of money to go fishing. I suppose it is relative to the area you fish. I make 30 mile runs for the weekend, and not all that uncommon to log 200 miles in a weekend. So, if your only burning 20 gal. then $20 each is probably good.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I normaly dont charge anything I figure I am going to spend the money for gas/bait if I am going by myself, and if I can take someone who doesnt get out much or to fish from a boat its worth it. If they want to pitch in for food afterwards or a little money toward the trip its up to them I dont hold them too it. As long as they help clean the boat,clean fish, bs, and catch fish then it was worth taking them along.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I usually don't ask and figure I'll pay for it. If they pitch in I always invite them again. If they don't... I might invite them again. It seems the people that have never owned a boat are the ones that think a free ride is ok... which it is if you're ok with it.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
We usually split the cost of filling up the boat up and I pay to haul it to the dock, everything else is up to those going with me. Any food, drinks, bait, ramp fees, etc. come out of their pockets and they always make sure to get enough for me. I have some pretty understanding fishing buddies and they never have any problems paying their way.

This is assuming they invite themselves. If I invite them, I never have a problem paying for everything. It never happens that way, but I still wouldn't mind picking up the tab.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One more thing... I normal trip for me with fuel for boat an tow vehicle, ice, drinks and boat launch fee is around $100. It might help to calulate what your average trip costs and let your fishing buddies know up front. They probably don't realize how expensive it is to operate one!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
cost

I have a core group I fish with and we have several avenues of approach. For some of my guys we dont ask for anything but we alternate trips on each others boats. For the others, I never ask for anything yet they always give. Maybe Im nieve or wrong but if I have to ask for money its probably not someone I want on my boat. I either tell them up front its on me or I accept whatever they give whether its 5, 10, 15, or 20. I try to surround myself with people who do what they feel is right and I have always agreed with them. My trips usually run 50-100 depending on how much Im running. NO BAIT!lol

Zac

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here is my take... Captain/Boat Owner invites frieinds to go fishing, no strings attached. Friends realize expenses are significant and INSIST on helping out with at least their fair share and maybe some subsidy for the Captain but not required. All works out, go fishing again. Doesn't work out, "friends" hear fishing stories and Captain invites others to go fishing.

·
Not on call Steve!!
2,840 Posts
I need to do it like Stay Bent did it. Fill up the gas tank and split it up with everyone. I always go to the gas station by myself and end up paying way more than everyone.
It also depends on what I'm doing. If I'm going to the jetties and staying around there, I don't expect them to fill my gas tank up when I won't use much to begin with. As far as bait goes, they will usually split that up.
Since I'm always the only one drinking beer, I always bring my own.
If it's a family member coming along, I'll just let them give me whatever. $20 is the norm for family.
Steve

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
Just my boat gas can run close to $175.00 if I fill it (60 gallons) at these gas prices. Depending on where I am fishing depends on how much gas I put in for the weekend, if I stay close to Rockport I can run pretty much fish all weekend on 30 gallons, if I run to the cut and back, then the boat will get filled up. Most of the non boaters I take automatically offer to pay for the gas and the bait. I let my company pay my vehicle gas so that is covered no matter what as I have several customers down around Rockport and the Island so I expense the gas. If I fish with a fellow boat owner we just split all the expenses

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
SPECtackle said:
Here is my take... Captain/Boat Owner invites frieinds to go fishing, no strings attached. Friends realize expenses are significant and INSIST on helping out with at least their fair share and maybe some subsidy for the Captain but not required. All works out, go fishing again. Doesn't work out, "friends" hear fishing stories and Captain invites others to go fishing.

We always fill up after each trip. The guys on the boat see the purchase at the pump, and they know they are paying for gas THEY used. Also, one less thing to mess with before each outing.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts