2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am teaching my wife to cast.....she has gotten pretty good a casting a spinning outfit, and the street has eaten up a good part of the line, plus the line is old....

My question is this:

How is the line supposed to come off the bulk spool when I put new line on this reel?

Also, anytips on teaching her to use a casting outfit? She is scared to have a "professional overrun".

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Loading Line On Spinning Reel

Lay your bulk line with one of the flat sides on the ground and crank about 10 yards of line on the reel then stop. Lay the tip of the pole on the ground next to the bulk line and look at the line. If the line is twisted instead of laying relatively flat on the ground your loading it backwards. Simply flip the bulk spool over and try again. Don't overload the spool! Good Luck

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
And

Hullahopper said:
Lay your bulk line with one of the flat sides on the ground and crank about 10 yards of line on the reel then stop. Lay the tip of the pole on the ground next to the bulk line and look at the line. If the line is twisted instead of laying relatively flat on the ground your loading it backwards. Simply flip the bulk spool over and try again. Don't overload the spool! Good Luck
... before you use it, if you have a boat try trolling 60yrds or so of line behind the boat. Don't attach anything to the line. Stick it in the rod holder while you idle for 5 minutes or so. The water will work out all the kinks, and it will lay straight when you reel it back in.
--Hop

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
off the bottom of the spool or hold the spool to the reel so it is wound in the same direction that the reel winds. Note which side of spool is the top and make sure that you put that end face down on the ground, and walk back about 10 yards and start reeling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
spooling line

Good advise here, I also like to put my line in a bucket of fresh water a few minutes before I wind it on. Mono absords water to a small extent and I think it makes the line go on tighter and the lines seems to lay better. And as said before, don't over fill the spool - it is easy to get loops especially when working a "popping or jigging" type lure. You won't even notice them til you make a cast a huge tangle ends up caught in the eyes.

Andy

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I notice no one attempted to give you advice to help you, help your wife on casting a bait caster and not back-lashing. So here goes; use a good quality reel(Shimano, Abu,Etc.) with a magnetic cast control and a 1/2 oz. weight or spoon. Tighten the cast control knob down on the right side plate pretty tight and have her cast. Slowly loosen the cast control knob as she continues casting. If that goes well, change to a lighter casting weight and start over. It's a long process to become profficient, and we all still occasionally have those "professional over runs".

·
Registered
68 Posts
Like kenny said, one more tip, use a little heavy mono when learning to cast on a casting reel. Lot easier to pick those birds nests out of 17 or 20 then 10lb when just starting out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you have a boat give this a shot, once I spool up any of my reels I like to take them on the boat and the with nothing attached to the line put the reel in freespool and let out a good portion of it as you are moving forward (minding the prop). Then once most of it is laid out engage the reel and apply tension between your fingers as you wind it back on. This eliminates the absolute majority of line twist that is caused by respooling as you always get some twist no matter how hard you try.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Casting

I heard a tip on casting. Never tried it.

Pull off some line then put a piece of tape on the spool, then reel the line back on. This way if (when) there is a backlash it will be to a controlled depth.

Also, wet line cast better than dry line. May want to pour a cup of water on before you start if you are in the drive way.

Chance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts