2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first spinning reel for trout and red fishing. I have no clue what do buy as I use a chronarch right now. I m looking to spend less than $100 on the reel. What do you think? Also if you have used a shimano with quick fire what do you think about it. thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Penn

I have used a Penn 4400ss for 10 years. Designed for use in salt water; very simple technology so it is easy to disassemble, clean and (most important) reassemble. I think they may have replaced the 4400 with a new model, but it looks very similar. My older son and I have tried using two different Abu's and very quickly encountered problems with both of them. My younger son has used a Shimano for a couple of years and has not had any problems.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Spinner

I am with JCG57. I have a spinning reel combo for whenever it is too windy to cast my baitcasters and I also use the Penn 4400. I love it. I just seems to stand up to the elements so much better than most of the other spinners.

LH

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The Pflueger President (and its saltwater counterpart, cant remember the name) are pretty nice: 10 bearings for under $100. Shimano's are still the best, but you'll need to spend a little more than $100 for one of the higher quality shimano's with 6 or more bearings and saltwater-safe components.

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
Got 2 of the smaller Shimano's but can't remember the models here at work. Well under $100.00 per reel and do great work in the wind like leadhead mentioned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
3rd for the Penns.....especially the older no frill type (they have the gold colored spools).....nice simple and made for a beatting

·
Registered
107 Posts
Try using the symetre line of shimanos or the saharas. Both really great reels for what you are doing and will hold in saltwater and also under $100. We sell alot of these reels at my store and haven't herd any complaints on these. The symetre goes for $79.99 and the saharas go for $59.99, hard to beat these reels unless you go to the higher end ones that retail over $100. Also the Pflueger Presidents are really nice as well had not had any problems with these either and at $59.99 it is also a hard reel to beat but I am a shimano person and will say go with shimano.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personaly have two shimanos and love them they also make a bait runner that my father-in-law has and with a little adjusting on the drags it is an outstanding reel. 3 years no problem just keep them clean.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Try a Shakespeare inexspensive,I have three two i just got far $20.00's at Walmart on 7" poles medium action.Great for salt water and fresh never had a problem,they can handle reds and trout well.You don't an exspensive reel just clean it after each use in salt with W.D.40 and oil you'll be surprised..

·
11,766 Posts
The Shimano Symetere is a great reel for under $100. I tried one out after Shimano redid the Stradic and am glad I did. Holds up very well and more than capable of landing a big redfish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gwf

I have used the Shimano Symetre 4000 w/ Stren Magnathin (16# test) Moss Green for the last four years. They work fine. I fill the spool to within an 1/8 " and spray line w/ Reel Magic to eliminate twist in the line. Once a year I take them in to be cleaned and checked. Very reliable. Have caught both redfish (up to 34" / 17#0 and trout to 23" (still waiting for 28" +)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Okuma

i'vee used the Penns for years and they've been very dependable. i tried an Okuma about 2 weeks ago and it was MUCH smoother. i don't know how well it will hold up, but 1st impressions are awesome.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Buy Shimano they spend alot of time working on coating that will hold up to our harsh salt enviroment.
But make sure it is a saltwater model there are several from $50. to $100. on the market.

·
Wherever you are....BLOOM!
5,760 Posts
I like the Daiwa spinning reels...I'm currently using a Regal Z($50) with a 7 1/2 Falcon coastal rod and power pro braid. It's perfect for speck/red wade fishing and smooth as silk. The weak point on a spinning reel is the ball bearing at the bail pickup....I clean and oil it daily(rocket fuel) when throwing lures in saltwater. Remember to cover your reel(before first use)with a paste wax to seal it from the elements. Also, when using braid, engage the bail manually and put pressure on the line before reeling by raising the rod. I hear the Daiwa exceler(sp) is an excellent buy.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My first spinning rig was a Penn 4400ss, awesome rig takes a beatin and keeps going, only thing I did'nt like was the wobble. Bought my first Shimano spinner, Stradic 2500 Mg and Love it real smooth, first hookup was a 18" Jack and it did great. My next purchase will be a Shimano Symetre 4000, from what I've read just as good as a Stradic.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Don't buy a Stradic, whatever you do

I would have been on the "Shimano is the BEst" bandwagon if Shimano hadn't redesigned a great reel and made it a piece of junk. I had a Stradic 4000 for many years that held up great. Went out and bought the "re-designed" version and its total junk. I can't speak re: the symeter or sahara, haven't tried them but i've heard good things.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you are a high maintenance fisherman and want to spend the $'s, the Stradic Mag Fa is incomparable-tho it does require a bit more attention to cleaning after saltwater use. At $80, the Pflueger Medalist is a great reel. It is the saltwater brother to the Pflueger President and is built on an aluminum frame which should insure longevity if used in coastal waters. Tight lines.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts