2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
fish control my brain
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a cheap back up to the Stella...

Anyone have a Shimano Thunnus 16000 ?

Can it hang, on top for YFT?

I cant find any more 9500 Penn's

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I just bought a 9500 for my son at acadmy in SA they had a few left. I was sure not impressed with spinging reels for tuna. I'll stick with my tld's or my good ol 505's.

·
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92
1991 ShallowSport Sport 20
1,042 Posts
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_10831_Penn_9500SS_Spinning_Reel.html

Penn 9500SS Spinning Reel

Penn 9500SS Spinfisher Reel. Features three stainless steel ball bearings.One-piece stainless steel main shaft for smooth operation and powerful in-the-spool multi-disc drag system.Line Cap 300yards/30lb Ratio 4.2:1

Details
Weight7.00 lbsMarket price:$ 179.95 Price:$ 149.95 Options
Choose Rod Combo None Penn Slammer (+$28) Penn Saber (+$28) Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Add to cart

16%

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have 4 16000 Thunnus'. They are strong reel, albiet not near the drag as a Stella. 15# vs 50# +. The only issue I have had with them is the bait runner feature gets stuck sometimes.

Victor

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am going thru same process, but for my first spinner, not a backup. I have narrowed my choice down to Shimano Spheros 14000 or Daiwa Emcast 6000. Did you consider either? Anyone else have any thought on either of these as an outfit for casting tuna poppers with 65 spectra? Max drag on Spheros is 24#; could not find anything for the Daiwa.

I have always used a Newell 550 and 50lb mono, but from here on I will only underhand cast so I want a spinner. And I will not pay for a Stella, saltiga, or any other high end spinner.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
BTW, the thunnus 16000 looks to be very similar to spheros, but has only 17# drag. Thunnus is heavier too. Spheros is only $125 at River Marine. Thunnus is almost $100 more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Replacement for the 9500

Rumor has it Penn will be debuting a replacement for the 9500 at the ICAST Show in a couple of weeks. Supposed to have better drags and price around $199. Comments???

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
Muddskipper said:
Looking for a cheap back up to the Stella...

Anyone have a Shimano Thunnus 16000 ?

Can it hang, on top for YFT?

I cant find any more 9500 Penn's
Why a cheap backup? If the near best fails, why replace it with something inferior? Use another Stella.....or how about an Accurate Twin-Spin? As McGolfer would say,......."There is no limit to tackle".....

Bob :biggrin:

·
fish control my brain
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWM0103 said:
Rumor has it Penn will be debuting a replacement for the 9500 at the ICAST Show in a couple of weeks. Supposed to have better drags and price around $199. Comments???
Was told the older Penn 9500 SS is better and made in USA not China
Get them while you still can!!!!

Dutch Treat said:
Why a cheap backup? If the near best fails, why replace it with something inferior? Use another Stella.....or how about an Accurate Twin-Spin?
The cost $$$$, after the reel and a custom rod no more Money left.....wife dont even know about the Stella.....could spell trouble.....

·
Most Non Funny
1,833 Posts
Dutch Treat said:
Why a cheap backup? If the near best fails, why replace it with something inferior? Use another Stella.....or how about an Accurate Twin-Spin? As McGolfer would say,......."There is no limit to tackle".....

Bob :biggrin:
but there IS a limited supply of Green in my Wallet

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
jig said:
BTW, the thunnus 16000 looks to be very similar to spheros, but has only 17# drag. Thunnus is heavier too. Spheros is only $125 at River Marine. Thunnus is almost $100 more.
I have the Spheros 14000 on a Shimano Tallus TLS70-MHA rod. I put 2 YFT in the boat with it, and a friend put one in the boat with it. I have 65lb Powerpro braid on it. I could just about outcast everyone who was using spinning gear, and everyone who was using baitcasting gear. The drag was decent, not super, but good enough for those tuna. We didn't hook up with any toads, but the biggest was probably near 60lbs. I plan on getting the Stella 20000FA, and using this one as a backup, but I won't hesitate to use it between now and then. Heck, the worst thing that could happen is that I lose a fish. At the price, it's not that great of a loss if it gets shredded. I am almost as concerned with losing the line as the reel.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Thanks DMC. That is what I was hoping for. I notice the rod you used is only rated up to 30lb class. How did it handle the 65lb spectra?

I held the equivilent Thunnus and Spheros in my hands today and liked the Spheros better. I can't make myself buy a Stella even if I could afford it. I looked at the Penns today too and they did not compare to the Shimanos IMO. But they were the new Penns.

I found a nice Daiwa Sealine rod I liked rated up to 60lb, 7ft, that I think I am going to be getting for it. Will fish 65lb spectra with a 50lb topshot (maybe 60lb). If it does not work out I will go the custom route. Otherwise, its back to my Newells. :)

MuddSkipper, you have probably already looked at this reel, but if not you might want to check it out. I can not believe you can get this quality of a reel for $125.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
jig said:
Thanks DMC. That is what I was hoping for. I notice the rod you used is only rated up to 30lb class. How did it handle the 65lb spectra?

I held the equivilent Thunnus and Spheros in my hands today and liked the Spheros better. I can't make myself buy a Stella even if I could afford it. I looked at the Penns today too and they did not compare to the Shimanos IMO. But they were the new Penns.

I found a nice Daiwa Sealine rod I liked rated up to 60lb, 7ft, that I think I am going to be getting for it. Will fish 65lb spectra with a 50lb topshot (maybe 60lb). If it does not work out I will go the custom route. Otherwise, its back to my Newells. :)

MuddSkipper, you have probably already looked at this reel, but if not you might want to check it out. I can not believe you can get this quality of a reel for $125.
I had no problem with the 65lb spectra. The rod seemed to have enough backbone for the size of fish we were hooking up with. If the fish were bigger, like twice the size or so, things might have transpired differently.

I didn't use a topshot. I used 3' of flourocarbon leader.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Just a short post, I'm about to throw away...scratch that, I JUST threw away a penn 4400ss. I bougth a 4400ss, 5500ss, and a 650 at the same time about 7 years ago, and no matter how much I cleaned, serviced them or replaced the drag washers, I could not keep corrosion off the spool. I replaced the spool on the 5500 and the 650 only to cntinue with this problem, no-mo. They all have departd my life in similar fashion. BUY SHIMANO !

·
Registered
712 Posts
what size stella is needed for tuna fishing with poppers? Is the stella6000 big enoug? Also, I saw they had some spinners named van staal. any insight on these reels? thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts