2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 5 1/2 foot rod and a small shimano spinning reel to use. The problem i am having is that i constantly get wind knots and backlashes. no matter witch way i put the line on the spool.Is there a special way to prevent this? thanks in advance frank

·
Registered
340 Posts
reducing twist

I have always had trouble with twist on my spinning reels after spooling as well. Next time you are idling along through a no wake zone, take off any lures or swivels, just straight line, and drag it behind the boat. let the drag of the line pull out a hundred yards or more. then reel it back in. that will get the twist out. I have heard of some folks doing that after every fishing trip, but I only do it every now and then.
p.s. - if you reel while a fish is pulling your drag out, it will really twist up your line.
-Sammy

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Is The Rod and Reel SMALL...

frankd said:
i just bought a 5 1/2 foot rod and a small shimano spinning reel to use. The problem i am having is that i constantly get wind knots and backlashes. no matter witch way i put the line on the spool.Is there a special way to prevent this? thanks in advance frank
...like one of the 2000 series? First, I wouldn't use heavier than 10 lb. test mono. and IMO would stick with using premium line exclusively. My SMALL Shimano's (2000's) all have 20 or so yards of 12 lb. mono. backing and the rest of the spool is filled with 10 lb. test (charcoal colored) Fireline in 10 lb. test (4 lb. diameter). That did away with my problems with line twist throughout the life of the line...which is a lot longer than monofilament.

It has been my experience to have the guy at the tackle shop (or whoever) that has the electric line-winder to put the mono. on for me. I sometimes have showed up in Tackle Town in Rockport with eight or ten spools at one time. That was then. Because as great as mono. is, after the line is put on the spool perfectly, it eventually ALWAYS becomes twisted...and even worse...coiled (springy - BOIIINNGG!!). It is not safe to be fishing with ComeFrom? when incidents of this nature occur. The language in the conversation goes way, way DOWN, if you get my drift. I recommend Fireline as discribed above. Good luck, CF? ;)

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Like ComeFrom?, I like using Fireline or equivalents on my spinning reels. I hate it on my baitcasters, but like the results on my small spinning reels.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
dont use Big GAme or Ande mono. xl is a good choice. Fireline and Power Pro or an alternitve. I ususally tie a swivle to my line and attache it to something then go about a 100 or so yards or even th whole spool out and then real back with the drag set real tight.....works most of the time.................JJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts