2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my wife has trouble with a baitcaster and i'd like to get her a really good spinnig reel. something she could cast touts and tops with, but also use for bait uder a popping cork or on bottom.... gee i know im asking a lot but i want to get her upgraded from the zebco's she has been useing since i've known her. i have been looking at the shimano reels but im a baitcast guy and dont know what size to get. Btw she likes the look and feel of the spirex FG, i just dont know enough about spinning reels to know if it is heavy enough for popping and bottom and light enough for casting lures.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
It will work but I think the Sahara or Symetre would be a better reel for what you plan to do. The instant anti reverse makes a big difference.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I just got the wife a Sahara and she loves it. I made the mistake of a light action rod at 6.6'. I will be replacing the rod with a 7' and slightly stiffer action so she has some range.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The sustain is an excellent reel in the 3000 size on a scimitar shimano 7' but if you don't want to go that high end both the Stradic and Symetre perform very well....I have them spooled with braid and have no problems.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Listen to Bantam. Just remember to soak the reel in warm water and spin it a few times after every saltwater trip whether you get it wet or not. Follow the lube instructions from shimano.

Have fun!

jdot

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I have to vote for penn. They haven't changed much in 20 years, parts readily available if you where able to break one. Simple no frills reels that will just last for ever. I'd look for an older made in USA model if I could find one. The "mack truck" of spinning reels. Extremely durable and corrosion resistant.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I moved down a notch from Stradic to Spheros and saved some money, very similar quality. The Stradics I had all got grindy-gravely and noisy after a while, didn't like that. The roller bearings on my newer Spheros are just fine after two years of abuse.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
Shimano Spheros 4000 with some 20-30# fireline on it works pretty darn good. I have one hang'n in the garage as I type I and others who have used it sure seem to like it also.

I think mines a 4000FA which ive had a couple of years, they now have a newer version called a 4000FB. Its kind of the new and improved version I guess.

Those other shimano's mentioned above are real similar...

Some BP reviews

As Hotrod said "Shimano all the way"

Hog

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
a sahara 2500 or 3000 will be perfect for her. If you use the 2500 you should use powerpro 15 lb but if you get the 3000 get the powerpro 20 lb line. the line will only have to be changed once a year if that. The rod is what is going to make the difference in casting ability. If you are throwing corks and live bait I recommend a 7 ft medium action rod. It will allow her to cast farther and easier especially with a popping cork. Saharas cost about $130 but if you can afford a lil lore than that purchase a stradic 3000. I use both of these reels for my customers and they perform well.

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
I got a Symetre for my 12 year old son - it's perfect for him! Got a 6' 6" FTU rod, which is a little short for me but works good for him. Since both the reel and rod are green, he named this combo "the Incredible Hulk"... See below, from last month...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh boy....... well i thought i was going to buy her the sahara, but she likes the quickfire thing so i guess it's gonna be the spirex after all. but its for her and she is my best fishing buddy so what mama wants mama's gonna get ! thanks anyway for all the help guys.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
I bought the wife a Stradic 2500 today for Christmas. I hope it is as good as advertised... I may have to use it one day! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts