2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a rod for a Penn 8500SS to be used on trips to CRica. It will be used to drop back live bait to sails in the spread. 20 lb test. Any recommendations on a specific brand of blank, fiberg. or graphite, length? Anyone use spins for sails here in Tx? I figure you blue water folks can help. Thanks

·
Reel Gambler
3,748 Posts
I have a custom made BillyStix that I use on Yellowfin Tuna that I really like. It could use a little more back-bone for tuna over 100lbs, but I don't really run into enough 100+ tuna to warrant up-grading the rod. I have used it on Blackfin, Kingfish, Ling and it works very well on them. You would have to contact Billy to get the spec's on it, he is building one for a friend of mine right now so its fresh in his memory what he used.

I use 65lb Power Pro on an AV-80 Okuma reel and it has been a great combo so far.

Here it is in action on a 100lb class tuna that I ended up breaking off.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I use a penn 7500ss on a diawa rod with 50lb power pro and 20lb mono on top of that and have caught 25-30lb AJ on it as well as 15-20lb snaps on it. It makes life interesting bug it tackles them without a problem. I keep it out on flat line with a ribbonfish or some kind of shinney dead bait on it if ribbons arent available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts