2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shhhh! Don't mention this too loud or the fish gods will hear it (their internet is down so it's OK to post) but the seas are forecast flat off SPI for the weekend and beyond!!!

Instigator will point toward the Canyon at daylight hoping to bathe the deck in tuna blood for the 1st time this summer. If some silly wahoo or dolphin gets in the way I guess it would be all right. I just don't want to have any of those big blue pointy nosed things messing with my lures. They take so long to deal with it just ruins the whole trip.

Will be monitoring 68 all day if anyone would like to swap stories while out there.

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
Sunday........late

I'll probably be taking my crack-of-eleven crew on Sunday. Man, I can't wait to get back on kilter with 2wahoo. I'd appreciate a heads up on blue water or rips Sat night or Sunday morning, not necessarily too early. Good Luck!

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
Instigator said:
Instigator will point toward the Canyon at daylight
good luck!....

you going Saturday, or Sunday?.............. so far i've only put a crew together for Monday

Saturday's looking good out to 20 miles,....... and beyond that, it's supposed to lay down by late morning/early afternoon

maybe i can find some locals here for a trip on Saturday, then rest up on Sunday for Monday

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Unbound,

Sorry about the off weekend. Maybe we can get a trip in before we yank Unbound out. Remember, Tuesday is our last day. We could even check to see if Zeke could make it to practice. Call me.

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goin Saturday Bill, and then again Tuesday.

Unbound, full report will be filed by bedtime tomorrow night. It really helps to have a crew that is as obsessive as we are. My son and girlfriend will be on the boat Tuesday so that means a late start, short run and early return. I love taking them but this early in the season when the fever still runs way too high I want to leave early, go far and stay out late. When I'm not paying attention the boat always overcorrects its course to 90 degrees. From 2wahoo's post it sounds like imminent shut down for you. If so, I would be more than happy to put you in my rotation until the Unbound is fishing again.

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
Instigator, Thanks for the offer, but the boat is fine, just hauling her out while I head up to Wisconsin for a month of smallmouth and salmon. If you're looking for any obsessive and knowledgable crew, I'm sure John(2wahoo) is going to be getting in his wife's way most of July.

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got in from a full day of pretty much non-stop fish catching. That's the good part. The down side is that there was absolutely no size. Put 5 blackfin in the boat lost 3 others at the boat, plus 1 skipjack tuna. Couple dolphin, some almaco jacks and a limit of snapper plus some aggregate reef fish thrown in. The coolest thing was watching a big blue crash through the busting tuna that we were working. No he didn't even sniff our lures but he sure made those tuna freak out. For those who might be interested, there was a perfect weedline in 120 feet that had more bait on it than I have ever seen in one place.....and no fish. Couldn't figure that one out. The tuna were in a band between 275 and 300 feet and we found them pretty much where ever we went. Just no size to em. They were all about like standard issue bonito, well maybe a bit bigger but not much. Nothing worth getting the digital out for that's for sure.

·
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi
3,118 Posts
Catching fish is a good thing. Watching blues isn't bad either. Thanks for the report of the weedline, that's what I was hoping to find, unfortunately, I'm still finding issues from the rebuild I need to take care of. Maybe I'll see you out there Tuesday if the weather holds.

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
sounded like a great trip!........... wish ya coulda found that weedline further out :)

i puttered out for a short trip to south end and back.......... dorado, bonita, and kings were to be had, but they were few-and-far-between

whuddid'ya offer the blackfin ta give-up their freedom?

·
1,635 Posts
Catching fish is better than going on a boat ride!

Instigator and Bill Fisher,

Nice job! Glad you got to bend a rod. The good thing about those little blackfin is that they grow to fat blackfin.

Bill Fisher, how far out did you get? What were you dragging? Anyone pulling cedar plugs these days? Daisy chains?

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
i only went out 20 miles/8 hrs........ (yes,..... pointless in even going,..... i know)

i was the only one paying fer fuel, so i set the clock, speed, and distance at 20 miles and thought i'd give it shot anyway

you're the 2nd person in-as-many days that have asked me about throwing the plugs out......... but nope, the cedar's still dry and tooth-free (i pulled all teeth outtuv'em last year)

thought about putting out the spreaderbars and chains but it was hot, there was alotta spotty weed, and a less-than-enthusiastic trip kept me from trying to do-it-all/do-it-right

it was just one o'them 'gotta go'/'gotta-get-out' days......... cabin-fever was about-ta-get-the-best-o'me

but tommorrow,............. no less than 13hrs, and i'll throw everything i got at'em!,...... up to, and including, the kitchen sink

prolly'll cover 150-200 miles o'water

·
1,635 Posts
BF,

I don't know about the 20 mile trip being pointless. That's what we're going to do on Unbound Tuesday afternoon. Can't go 'til after work, so if we break the jetties at 2 pm that'll be great. Headed for the rigs and East Bank. Want to try some stuff we've been kickin' around.

We'll probably pull Unbound out of the water when we return. Eric's about to head to Green Bay for a month. Pull the boat over to Harlingen and park it next to my house. Put it back in for TIFT.

You fishing the club this coming weekend?

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
Stbgfc

2wahoo said:
BF,

You fishing the club this coming weekend?
dunno........

no crew as-of-yet, and they're calling for 2-4 sat, 3-5 sunday

i'll prolly wanna go out saturday at least, ......... you wanna consider going?

it'd be best to have 3 or 4 on the boat to split the $40/hr fuel cost

lemme know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.