2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the 2 day Big-Game Club weekend on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, the seas were still a bit spicey, but manageable. Trolled deep to 10 miles beyond Colt 45. Lots of bait in the water, but a very slow morning. Most of the club boats were reporting nothing caught. The bite turned on in the afternoon some, but not for us. We caught one lonely 2 lb. mahi. We did have a billfish charge thru the baits and knock both lines off the starboard rigger, but no hookup.

Day 2, the 4th was much better. The seas laid down more and we stayed more inshore. Boated a nice wahoo first about 8 am. Then at 10 am a blue slammed our port rigger tip. Linda hopped in the chair and about 30 minutes later we were releasing her very first blue marlin. Went about 250 lbs. Very feisty. Gave lots of head and shoulder shakes, but no huge jumps. Took a couple of photos and released alive. Trolled on. We later boxed 2 more wahoos to make 3 for the day. Missed 2 others on bite-offs and lost a 10 lb mahi near the boat with pulled hooks. Still, a very good day. Made the slip at 6:30 and cleaned fish and boat. Very tired but very satisfied with our first blue of the season. Next club day is the 17th. Tight lines to all!

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were quite a few caught, but I'm not sure on exact numbers. Saturday had at least 6 caught and a sail. Sunday had 3-4 more blues, a white, and a sail. The Poco Mas caught the grand slam on Sunday. The Producer caught a 197 lb. yellowfin. Also, there were 3 whales near the Canyon on Sunday giving everyone a show. Top weekend honors went to the Lisa, who T & R 3 blues in the 2 days.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks for the report 2wahoo. Sounds like you all had a great trip. As for the Lisa, I was wondering where they were this weekend. I noticed they were missing from POC. Congrats and thanks for the club update.

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Lisa

I've heard that the Lisa is planning on staying down here and scouting for at least a month. If they've put their sights on winning TIFT then it makes sense. I also heard that they bought one of the slips down here at the Sea Ranch. She's the only boat in her class around here.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Lisa will be in POC for Poco Bueno coming up in two weeks. Poco pays a lot more than the TIFT does and they've never won Poco. And yea, since it's a 59' Merritt, it's a very nice boat.

Get Wild

Eric

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wahoos all came on rigged ballyhoo with a lure over the top. Perry doesn't spare any expense here. He buys prerigged ballyhoo from Calcutta Baits. Then he puts a lure head over the top. He has a good variety of unrigged lures for this purpose. There are 3 main types. Chugger heads, jet heads, and bullet heads on a few different colors. It's a bit expensive this way, but very effective.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Nice fish. Is that a Bertram? Looks a lot like a 28 with the cockpit rails removed and original gunnel vents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts