2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we got ready Friday evening things were looking great for Saturday morning's 5:am departure. I got in contact by radio with another 2cooler "Family Ties" who was pre-fishing for TIFT also. As Friday was coming to an end it was time to hit the sack, but yet I was too excited that I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking what and where I was going to position my lures short rigger long rigger...etc. I only got about an hour worth of sleep. The Alarm went off at 4am I got to the boat and waited for the rest of crew to get there which consisted of myself, Byrn, Selina, Jim, and Natasha "AKA" (Nichole) which I kept calling her that all day couldn't get her name straight. Well when it was time to leave the **** Nav. lights didn't work, which I did test the night before. After five minutes of checking around, it turns out to be a blown fuse. We finally headed out at around 5:am, seas were about 2-3 feet it sure was an awesome morning. We dropped lures at the crack of dawn, soon after that short rigger went off hoping it was a Mahi, it was a short fight and it produced a fairly large Bonita; minutes after that we landed a King mackerel nothing to impressive. Off we went again to go look for that elusive Bill fish everybody wants. 45 minutes later at around 7:35 starboard side flat line reel started screaming. The line was peeling at a fast rate, I set the reel to strike and it still kept going at that point I knew it something large. I shouted to AKA (Nichole) "It's your turn" we got the belt around her and off she went fighting the unknown fish like an expert. As she was fighting the fish for about 15 minutes I was thinking to myself "Wahoo for sure". As Nichole fought the fish closer to the boat I was hoping to see silver but yet this fish was dark coming through the water not what I was expecting. As I look closer I yelled "SAIL FISH…SAIL FISH. Soon after that we landed the first Bill fish of the boat. We took some quick pictures and released the sail fish. We celebrated for a while; we were having a great start. Soon after that we put lines out and headed to our set course hoping to get hit again. I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the cockpit. This is when everything that was going great was about to change, I noticed the portside engine was running hot. I quickly shut it off at that point it was to late the raw water pump had giving out and water was coming in. I then quickly closed the valve. Thank god for having a second engine and automatic bilge pumps. It was at that point that it was obvious that were heading back to port, we were 20 miles out. Our celebration was short lived; it took us three hours to get back home. I'm glad it didn't happen when we were way out there or on the TIFT Tournament. 2cooler "Family Ties" Thanks a lot for keeping in touch with us and offering your help I hope you all did well. I ordered the pump and I should back on the water in time for TIFT.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
THE BIG "HURL"

Great Fish!!! Sorry For All Your Trouble........it Took Us Till Noon To Get Down South..one Of Our Crew Spent Most Of The Day "over The Side"...set Boat Record For "hurling"....we Pulled Baits Between The 50 And 100 Fathom Line A Little South Of The Canyon....mostly A Wasted Trip And A Lot Of Spent Gas.. Around 2pm, My Son Said, "dad, You Forgot To Set The Clicker On The Shotgun 50", Which Was Inching It's Way Out, We Thought We Had A Big Piece Of Seaweed On It. We Handed It To Our World Class "hurler" And Up Comes A 15lb. Blackfin ... He Had To Fight It Twice Cause He Didn't Level Wind The Line And My Son Made Him Let It Out Again.(we Were Hoping For A Big Blue To Spot It).. We Managed To Have Fresh Tuna While We Cleaned Up The Boat...hope To See You Next Weekend, But I'm Clueless On Where To Go................... Also, Got Stop By P&w Coming In The Jetties.pretty Nice Guys, Made Fun Of Our Catch,were Stop All The Big Guy's, But Where Do You Store Four Life Jackets On A 60 Hat ???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FAMILY TIES said:
Great Fish!!! Sorry For All Your Trouble........it Took Us Till Noon To Get Down South..one Of Our Crew Spent Most Of The Day "over The Side"...set Boat Record For "hurling"....we Pulled Baits Between The 50 And 100 Fathom Line A Little South Of The Canyon....mostly A Wasted Trip And A Lot Of Spent Gas.. Around 2pm, My Son Said, "dad, You Forgot To Set The Clicker On The Shotgun 50", Which Was Inching It's Way Out, We Thought We Had A Big Piece Of Seaweed On It. We Handed It To Our World Class "hurler" And Up Comes A 15lb. Blackfin ... He Had To Fight It Twice Cause He Didn't Level Wind The Line And My Son Made Him Let It Out Again.(we Were Hoping For A Big Blue To Spot It).. We Managed To Have Fresh Tuna While We Cleaned Up The Boat...hope To See You Next Weekend, But I'm Clueless On Where To Go................... Also, Got Stop By P&w Coming In The Jetties.pretty Nice Guys, Made Fun Of Our Catch,were Stop All The Big Guy's, But Where Do You Store Four Life Jackets On A 60 Hat ???
Hey, No problem If you need to get togther before TIFT send me a PM we can figure something out. Yeah we got boarded by P&W it seem like they were stopping everybody that is the first time I seen them out full force. where are you guys storing your boat at?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts