2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new store in the DFW area, Sportsman's Warehouse is stocking loaded Federal Ammo in Speer Grand Slams @ $14.99 in standard calibers and $18.99 in 300Wmgs in 3 bullet weights.... and I have a Store Opening discount coupon with a couple days still on it that is burning a hole in my pocket.
Does anybody have any experience on Texas White Tails or Hogs in a 270 Winnie or a 300WMg in one of these bullets? Elk/Nilgi sized critters? The bullets look interesting on the Speer web site with a single chamber of 3 metals, a thin wall front with a blunted exposed lead tip, and a thicker bottom half walls and a flat base they call "controlled expansion"...looks kinda like a single chamber partion.
OBTW I understand they are supposed to open about 15-20 of these stores all over the state with Round Rock being the next one. Great selection of reloading components and this store opened with 1400 guns in stock and a great selection of fly tackle and serious camping stuff.
Any input on the Grand Slams would be appreciated.
Ron

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think you'd be more happy with other bullets on whitetail. Grand Slam bullets have a thick jacket and may not open quick enough or even at all on whitetails. They should do a number on big pigs though. Speer makes the trophy bonded bear claw that would probably be better on deer and still slam pigs. I would take a nosler partition over both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
skinny, I loaded some GS's back in the 70's and I would agree they were HARD bullets with little or no expansion on Texas sized WT's except for bone fragment damage and changed to Nosler Ballistic Tips for an everday bullet.
The Speer web site shows that the current crop of Grand Slams are designed with a very thin jacket up front that thickens progresively the further down the bullet and becomes several times thicker than average solid copper base underneath the lead/antimony/whatever the third metal is expansion chamber and a much sharper ogive angle but still blunted nose than those early bullets. Those early bullets looked like almost like a wadcutter shape but they don't now.
I neck or head shoot everything on WT's for the skillet and never get much expansion out of anything ...but I occasionally get a shot at a wallhanger and want a bullet to be able to drive the length of the critter to get to the engine room from any angle... and want to use just one round for everything in a given rifle now that I hunt more than one rifle and caliber...like using a Pick Up to pull the boat with and hunt out of ..and a sports car to hunt something else with LOL!
I shot a medium sized piggie 2 years ago using a 30/06 and Fed Prem 180 GameKings with a raking crossbody hit that started just in front of the left ham and recovered the bullet about 90% weight just under the skin on the off shoulder with no bones impacted, with the shot at about 15 yards and want a little harder bullet than that...but I've also experienced a 270 130 Nosler BT at 3200fps MV(59.5 gr's of IMR4831 max! max! max! pressure out a 24" barreled SAKO) that hit a large desert Muley at about 30 yards that was haulin' butt away from me in the left hip, that totally blew up and destroyed everything from the pelvis/hip joint/lower back and shredded every major organ all the way to the engine room with shrapnel and wound up eating bullet particles in backstrap and both front shoulder roasts...and I don't want that hassle again. The bullet literally exploded like a hand grenade with no recoverable jacket past the entry wound channel.
I also have some experience with Partitions and have used them at ranges over 300 yards satisfactorily... So the question is ...Is the Grand Slam a good "in between bullet" at half the price of Partitions or some other Premium Loaded ammo??
Ron

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Swift

The Swift Scirocco is the in-between bullet you are looking for. Expands like a Nosler but with less explosiveness, and stays together better for better penetration. I'm working up a load with them for this next season.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nosler Bullets

Say
I've been shooting Nosler Partition Bullets for many years.In fact I buy the Factory 2nds.They are great bullets,and the deer and wildpigs have never complain that they were shot with factory 2nds in my 7Mag.lol
Nosler say this about there factory 2nds:Nosler Factory 2nds are cosmetically blemished bullets that didn't pass the test to be put in the black and gold box.They shoot just the same ,they just don't Look as pretty.Check them out at [email protected]
Their cheaper than you can buy at stores, and at times they run sales on the 2nds.And if you buy 10 bags or more they will pay for the shipping.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
Roger

I checked out that site, man they got all kinds of stuff. I shoot alot of ballistic tips and they have those too. They also mention that the bullets could be 1 tenth of a grain in variance. I've had them vary that much when I've bought them new. I've never had a critter complain about the bullet I was shooting..........I think I've had a few die laiughing though.....LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Nosler site also has flat rate shipping so if you buy a little of this or that and it doesn't make the free shipping amount everything is shipped a the same price. Last time I ordered they had some 30 cal 180 gr'ers BT's with the grey winchester tip but no moly coating @ $6.95? for a bag of 50. I just don't have time to reload anymore is my biggest problem.
Bought the Bro in Law one of those multi caliber cleaning kits for a B Day gift... brass rods for pistol rifle and shotgun and more brush's and jags than I would ever use in a wood presentation box for about $25 on one of the sales. Wished I'd bought one for myself so Ms. Santy Claus wouldn't have to ask..."and what do you want for X-Mas???"
Ron

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey,
Happy to help out,glade that you found my post usefull.If you get the lead tips.You can take a file and file off a little lead off the tips, and get the bullets all the same grain if you have the time. Nolser ever has a news letter that they send out on their sales.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
nasakid said:
The Swift Scirocco is the in-between bullet you are looking for. Expands like a Nosler but with less explosiveness, and stays together better for better penetration..........................
I'm going with the Scirocco this year myself, for just the reasons described.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts