2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father went fishing this morning (because he is retired and has nothing better to do) and picked up almost 30 trout in the surf. He fishes at his regular weekday spot. " firworks stand" him and his buddy were in the surf at about 6 am this morning and the water was slighty rough, kinda sandy, and there was alot of sargassum weed in the way. He stated to me at 7 30 am when i pulled out of the water he already had caught over 25 fish and his friend was hooked up when i left to come to work..... he had 7 keepers on his stringer and i dont know how many his friend had on his because he was still in the water fishing. They both were fishing the 1st sandbar, therefore passing "my" first cut i like so much, but then again the sargassum was very thick in the gut. the wave action was about as rough as i like it and it was not that dead glass that we had last week. So the predictions that i read earlier in the week about the specks returning to the surf after the storm, were correct. They are there , they are biting and if you have time get on them becuase from what i hear today is the last day it will flat enough to fish in the surf for few days.....i think the wind is going
to pick up and get rougher...i say tonight boilers.......good luck tight lines...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Just curious, how is he fishing the surf? Live bait? Off the bottom like you would with a red or arties or what? Been thinking about doing something like that but wanted to know how. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he fishes the surf with live shrimp, under a cork, talked to him at lunch he and his friend ended up catching nearly 40 trout, 1 skiphjack, and a couple small whiting, his largest trout this morning was 24 1/2 inches. he said that ran out of bait and that is why they quit fishing. good luck to all of you tonight.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Thanks for the report surfside, my goal in life is to become one of those retired folks and fish alot more. Sounds like a great way to spend a morning.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
The wind really picked up this afternoon and it's a tad rough, but still fishable. Maybe?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Good report. The surf is pretty tore up down in Galveston right now. As long as we have this upper level low over us (strong south wind and lingering thunderstorms) then it will probably remain this way. Here are some shots of the surf in Galveston right now.

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Thanks for the report from SS. I'm still gonna hit you up for a fishin trip soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.