2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of prefishing every day before the tourny except wednesday. I was fishing out of my kayak

Monday- North Jetty
Got to the pilons of the bird sanctuary about 3:15 monday morning. Headed out to the jetty around 3:30. Headed out past the boat cut, and find that the breeze is PERFECT for drifting directly down the rocks. I start throwing my Super Spook, Black and Chrome, and around the 5th cast i have a blow up. Shortly after im hooked up with my first fish of the day. 17 inch trout. Alright good way to start off. Throw him back and continue to have blow ups with a few hook ups in between. Cant seem to hook up with a fish larger than 18". So I decide to get out on the rocks and walk down he jetty, so i can work both sides. I get out right at the big marker that is on the channel side. I work the gulf side with my spook continuing to catch the smaller trout. I i decide to put on a soft plastic. I put on a 2" strawberry tout, on a 1/8 oz Bass Assassin screwlock jig head. I cast out on the channel side and let it sink and flow with the current . As it is flowing with the current I felt a tap. Then my line started moving up stream. So i set the hokk and the fish responded by take many yards of line off of my currado. I finnaly get him turned and start working him towards me. He comes within 10 feet of my and i can see that it is a VERY nice bull red. The he decides to make one last run. He imediatly heads down and gets under a rock. I can feel the line being worn through. and eventually the line broke. Oh well i got what i wanted out of him. Not bad for my first fish cought on my new Billy Stix. I dont have any more hits on the channel side so i move back to the gulf side. And i am glad i did. it was on, i cought around 50 fish the whole day. All on the same color tout. I cought trout up to 22" and smacks. My biggest smack was between 30 and 36 inches. He hit it and started to head for cuba. I thought i hooked up into a king at first until i got to see what i was fighting and saw the yellow spots on its sides. I headed back towards my truck around 12:00 because it was so stinkin hot. About 30 yards off the beach i start seeing sharks. Mostly all small around 2-3 feet. So i decided to catch a few for fun. I stood up in my yak and picked on out and threw right in front of hit and he hit it. Brought him in and continued to catch a few more while standing up then I saw a HUGE shark. my guess would have been between 7 and 8 feet. He had the blunt nose of a bull shark. Finally around 2:30 i decided ive had enough fun for the day and headed in to my truck.

Tuesday- Todds Dumps
I got to eagle point marina around 4:00 and unloaded and headed out to todds dump. Topwater bite wasnt on. It was extriemly rough with all the guides headin out to the spoil banks and the shrimpers headin out towards seabrook, so i decided to find a cut through the reef and ancor up and get out and wade. I ended up catching 15-20 torut in the 18-23" range. Not to bad of trout but not what i have been looking for. Choice lure was a morning glory bass assassin 4" sea shad on a chartruese 1/16 oz screwlock. I headed back towards topwater grill in search of some bigger trout but ended up catching a few decent flounder. Started running from a storm about 11:00 and made it back and loaded up right before the bottom fell out.

Wednesday-
Took a break from fishin

Thursday- Bulkhead at surfside, and undisclosed location
Decided to hit the surf. Got to the beach a lil late around 5:00 and proceded down the beach. About 1/4 mile down from the bulkhead the stand got soft, and i mean soft. I ended up gettin my truck stuck like chuck. I said there aint nothin i can do right now so i unloaded my yak and proceded down the beach to the bulkhead. Had a few blow ups on top but only landed one fish. A 6" mullet hooked in the mouth. So i switched to a glow/firetail bass assassin on a 1/8 oz screwlock and had a few bumps but only hooked up with one 8" trout. I look down the beach and notice BOOKOOS of birds working right along the beach and beyond the second bar. So i double time it down to the birds and start catching schoolie trout, blue fish, and smacks. I finally decide its time to try and get my truck unstuck. I continue to dig for 1/5 hours before i am even able to move my truck. I start being able to move backwards when i have to start to dig again. About that time a guy named Chris that was wadeing a lil ways down the beach and heard my truck, drove over with his very nice jeep and offered to pull me out which i gratefully accepted. Turns out his guy lives in the same subdivison i live in. Finally get unstuck and head to my other spot. I star paddling out to my spot when i notice mullet being chased on the shoreline to my right. I take a closer look through my Costas and notice bronze backs sticking out of the water. So i reach back brab my rod which was out fitted with a morning glory red killer on a 1/16 oz screwlock and make a cast that lands right in front of his nose, he follows it in all the way to my yak and five feet from my yak hit hits it and starts taking line off of my curado. I finally get him up to my yak and land him. 26" red, not to back for only being 1 minute away from where i launched my yak. I proceded to my choice spot and ended up catching 3 flounder, landing 2 and a nice speck. If i would have been fishing for a slam, i would have been doing very good with 64" of fish. Ended the day around 12:45 and headed home.

Friday-Virginia Point/Cambells Bayou
I was originally supposed to hit bird island that morning but had to be back by 10:00 to help my dad with something, so i decided to hit cambells. I paddle the distance to cambells bayou, a lil over 2.5 miles and get out and wade. I end up catching 7 or 8 trout to 22" and decide to go ahead and make my way on back to the launch. Get back to the launch around 8:30. Short day, which was good because i was in for e long day on saturday.

Saturday-Tourny Day
Me and dan were undecided on where we were going to fish but finally decided on virginia point, due to the fact that we both have fished it and know there are some nice trout there. We start off the morning at 3:00 meeting up at cracker barrel and head to pick up the yaks. We get to the launch around 4:00 and get setup. We start making our long journy to our chosen location. Around 4:55 we are a good ways down the shoreline where we both notice bait boiling in the water. We decide to wait till five in this area. At five we send our choice lures flying. Dan throwing his tube, and be throwing a black body/chartruese head spook jr. And let me tell ya, my lure went flying. there was a bad spot in the line and sent my spook jr flying into out space. What a way to start out. Anyways, i tie on another of the same color and keep on chunking, having a few lite swipes here and there. Dan on the other hand hoked up with a very nice trout shortly after 5 and ended up looseing it fumbling with his net. Oh well, we know they are there. I finally get what i have been hoping for. I had a huge blow up followed by a strong surge of the line so i pull back on the rod and notice the line isnt coming off the spool and when i have a fish of that caliber on the other end of the line it outa be coming off. Then i thought, oh **** my drag aint set right and by the time i could fix my operator error, the hooks pulled free from the fished mouth. Wow, two really good fish and none in the boat yet. Ok they are here so lets keep chunking. I end of switching to a morning glory soft plastic and start working it. Finaly right at the yak i feel a good solid bump then slack line. so i start crankin tryin to catch up with the fish and notice that the fish has gone under the yak and he is pelling off line like it aint nothing, by the time i get the line on the right side of the yak he ends up running right back for the yak and shakes the hooks loose. Ok, now i am getting worried. Then i remember, Dan had a bannanna. That must be the problem. Any ways i make my down the shoeline towards cambells andancor up on the shore where there is a nice little reef. I start wading the reef, working the down current side of it. Having a few bumps ehre and there. As i wade off of the reef and onto the clay bottom i feel tap tap tap tap, i set the hook and bring up a stinkin flounder. Then i look up and notice slick after slick poppin up on this shoreline. So my next cast i throw up wind of this one slick and let the line sink a second, then i feel it, a solid bump with my line started to go to the side. so i set the hook. I didnt think it was a very nice fish because it was fighting very hard. But when i finally got it up near the top of the water i notice the silver flash. finally get it up to me and get my hand around her. A nice 3 pound trout. Good deal, where theres one, there more. Well the other ones wouldnt exactly cooperate with us. we had many more bumps but nothing would take it all the way. Fianlly it started to get warm so we decided to head to the causeway and wok the shade. We ended up catchin numerous numbers of 14 inch trout but not no bigguns that we was lookin for. We end the day around 2:00 and head abck to the launch and back to the weigh in.

Here are a few pics from my prefishin. Only kept on red all week long for dinner.

Here is me stuck after all the diggin

Here is the red i kept

Here is dan with a "dancing" gaftop

And our one keeper for the tourny

·
Registered
145 Posts
goatruckman said:
I had the pleasure of prefishing every day before the tourny except wednesday. I was fishing out of my kayak

Monday- North Jetty
Got to the pilons of the bird sanctuary about 3:15 monday morning. Headed out to the jetty around 3:30. Headed out past the boat cut, and find that the breeze is PERFECT for drifting directly down the rocks. I start throwing my Super Spook, Black and Chrome, and around the 5th cast i have a blow up. Shortly after im hooked up with my first fish of the day. 17 inch trout. Alright good way to start off. Throw him back and continue to have blow ups with a few hook ups in between. Cant seem to hook up with a fish larger than 18". So I decide to get out on the rocks and walk down he jetty, so i can work both sides. I get out right at the big marker that is on the channel side. I work the gulf side with my spook continuing to catch the smaller trout. I i decide to put on a soft plastic. I put on a 2" strawberry tout, on a 1/8 oz Bass Assassin screwlock jig head. I cast out on the channel side and let it sink and flow with the current . As it is flowing with the current I felt a tap. Then my line started moving up stream. So i set the hokk and the fish responded by take many yards of line off of my currado. I finnaly get him turned and start working him towards me. He comes within 10 feet of my and i can see that it is a VERY nice bull red. The he decides to make one last run. He imediatly heads down and gets under a rock. I can feel the line being worn through. and eventually the line broke. Oh well i got what i wanted out of him. Not bad for my first fish cought on my new Billy Stix. I dont have any more hits on the channel side so i move back to the gulf side. And i am glad i did. it was on, i cought around 50 fish the whole day. All on the same color tout. I cought trout up to 22" and smacks. My biggest smack was between 30 and 36 inches. He hit it and started to head for cuba. I thought i hooked up into a king at first until i got to see what i was fighting and saw the yellow spots on its sides. I headed back towards my truck around 12:00 because it was so stinkin hot. About 30 yards off the beach i start seeing sharks. Mostly all small around 2-3 feet. So i decided to catch a few for fun. I stood up in my yak and picked on out and threw right in front of hit and he hit it. Brought him in and continued to catch a few more while standing up then I saw a HUGE shark. my guess would have been between 7 and 8 feet. He had the blunt nose of a bull shark. Finally around 2:30 i decided ive had enough fun for the day and headed in to my truck.
NO FISh in the surf.

·
Registered
145 Posts
96 of the top anglers (Guides, amateurs, kayakers) who qualified for this event from the Sept 2005-May 2006 Specktacular series enjoyed good conditions for the Lazor Rope Invitational. Heavy fish were absent this event but numbers were plentiful. Most fish were taken on tops & tails. Sharks were a problem in both East & West bays where they not only attacked stringers but also hooked fish.

Here are the top 10 from the event:
1st-Storm/Jimmy Lloyd- 12 lb 6 oz = $2,900
2nd-Garza/Townsend- 10lb 8oz
3rd- Mills/ Supak - 10lb 7oz
4th-Shipley/Shipley - 9lb 13 oz
5th -Bautista/Baguio- 9lb 8oz
6th- TEAM OCEAN KAYAK-8lb 6oz
7th-Weaver/Sweeny - 8lb 3oz
8th-Napoli/Cambra -8lb 2oz
9th-Ramsey/ Williams- 8lb 2oz
10th-Schwartz/Williamson-8lb 2oz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts