2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda new to spearfishing. I went out a couple of times last year, and only a few this year due to the weather. I have only freedived so far, but I am wanting to get into it more. This stuff is addicting.

What type of speargun do yall recommend? I dont want to break the bank, yet i also want a quality gun.

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
95 Posts
Spearguns!~

I am also new to the sport and don't have extensive experience but I bought a Riffe metal tech 3. Its accurate and has good range! There are cheaper guns out there but the metal tech works really well for me!

Brandon

·
Underwater Point & Click
1,046 Posts
I have only had the pleasure of shooting JBL's, but of the Competition Magnum, Gulf Magnum and the 450 Magnum, I would say the best gun for our gulf is a Gulf Magnum. Easy to load, great range & power, not too much of a reach for those shorter than 5'10". I had a hard time figuring out how to load my 450 the first few times I used it.

There are many others Riffe, Wong's, etc, but I have heard much adeau about the JBL Gulf Magnum and from shooting it, I am impressed.

If you are looking to go cheap :Here

But I would recommend calling Mike Cryer at Hydrasporst Scuba in Lake Jackson to hook you up. You will pay a few more bucks for it, but it is well worth it. He can get you rigged up and if anything goes wrong, he is stand up about fixing it.

Whichever gun you choose, if you are going to be around rigs, get it Gulf Rigged (with cable and a shock cord setup). If you go the cheap route, get with Scubaru here on the board, he can hook you up with rigging it correctly. Would run you $250ish for the gun, and another $50 or so for the rigging. About half that of a good Riffe. But supporting your local scuba shop is the best thing I would recommend. Those guys are there supporting something we love.

Granted I been doing this for about a year myself, and most of what I think is based off research, theory, and conjecture. But I have done the reasearch and have a year behind me of actually doing it too.

Yeah, this stuff is addicting! Welcome aboard! Both of you's!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The gun selection also depends of the kind of spearfishing that you have planned to do.
The guns for Freedivers are different to the ones that the scuba divers use. They need to be rigged different and you also have a bigger selection to choose.

Cheers

Ivan

www.freediveforlife.com

·
Underwater Point & Click
1,046 Posts
Touche'

I forgot to mention that.

Asturven said:
The gun selection also depends of the kind of spearfishing that you have planned to do.
The guns for Freedivers are different to the ones that the scuba divers use. They need to be rigged different and you also have a bigger selection to choose.

Cheers

Ivan

·
John Little
63 Posts
You have to keep in mind that in the larger scheme of things, spearfishing is a developing sport and the companies that manufacture spearfishing gear are not anywhere on par with gun manufactures like Benelli or others.

With that in mind, you can look for OMER, Rob Allen, Riffe, Cyrano, Cressi, Rabitech, Sporasub, Spearfishing Specialties, A.B. Biller, JBL, and a plethora of custom gun makers such as Daryl Wong, Deathstick, Spetton, Poseidonsub etc. Some of the guns that people are building in thier backyards are amazing.

There is just no way to answer your question without telling you to use google, search the www.spearboard.com archives etc. There are euro guns, enclosed track railguns, pneumatic guns... Check out this thread: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=36650 some of these guys have a life savings invested in spearguns.

Now that the issue has been sufficiently complicated for you, go to Hydrosports, put your hands on about ten completely different guns, buy a Riffe No Ka Oi and live happily ever after. :)

Just to give you an idea about how far ranging guns can get check out this carbon fiber and titanium bada$$ euro-gun and this giant tuna gun. Guns can go from something as simple as a hawaiian sling to these:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Im a scuba guy and have no experience with freediving so if thats your plan then i would listen to the other freedivers cuz the gun setups are completely different. I have been spearfishing for about 10 years and have used pretty much every kind of gun i could find including every medium JBL up the 450 XHD. For the kind of hunting that is done in the gulf i couldnt pick a better gun than the JBL Magnum XHD (Extra Heavy Duty).

I have started looking for the biggest fish i could find the last couple of years and passing on the smaller stuff just for the fact that my freezer is constantly full of fish so why shoot so many. I have switched to a riffe and they are just on a whole different level.

Lot more expensive, alot harder to cock, and alot harder to get re-rigged after the shot. The benefits are that its so much faster and you have alot more range.

IMO for the money JBL Magnum XHD did everything that i wanted it to do!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
And i completely agree with the above, Go to Hydrasports Scuba in Lake Jackson. I have made numerous dives with Mike and Jake and they do all the work on all of our equipment. Tell him some guy that said you "Must have a safety sausage" sent you and he will know who i am and he will tell you an amazing story as well!

·
Registered
52 Posts
im a free diver and i shoot the riffe metal tech 4s. its an awesome gun, expensive but its worth it. so check out the riffe metal tech series next time your lookin at spearguns.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Mako Mike said:
But supporting your local scuba shop is the best thing I would recommend. Those guys are there supporting something we love.
Amen, support your local dive store...no one gets rich running a dive store (many do it after an early retirement or with spouses who have a "day job") so it's a labor of love.

What they offer you in return for a few percent markup is, they'll talk to you for hours telling you what gear is important, what's nice to have later, and what's junk...plus they will give you tips that will make your gear last longer or might save your life.

http://www.slinginsteel.com/nn/classic.html

I've got a Rhino which I've had really good luck with....Mike at Hydrosports sold me and rigged for me.

I think in general a longer gun will give you more power, and to start, go with the 1/2" bands instead of 5/8" as they are a little easier to load underwater (I'm a big guy, 6' 1" and 250 lbs but I liked an easier pull while I was learning. It sucks to burn 300 PSI while you reload for another shot).

When you upgrade to another gun eventually, it's nice to have a spare to loan to new divers or as insurance if you break yours offshore.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I personally like the JBL gulf magnum, they're the REMINGTON 870 of spearguns, not real pretty, but tough as nails and dependable. And ditto on MAKO MIKE'S advice, scubaru can tell you how to rig it up right. Also check out spearfishing specialties, you can get a real nice AB Biller gulf rigged for not much more than a gulf magnum

·
Registered
78 Posts
standpipe said:
I personally like the JBL gulf magnum, they're the REMINGTON 870 of spearguns, not real pretty, but tough as nails and dependable. And ditto on MAKO MIKE'S advice, scubaru can tell you how to rig it up right. Also check out spearfishing specialties, you can get a real nice AB Biller gulf rigged for not much more than a gulf magnum
Alright, which one of you MO FOES changed my avatar?

Reactions: Mako Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I were just starting out and mostly freediving in Texas waters I'd get a 130cm railgun (rob allen, rabitech, or mako) and rig it with 1 wrap of mono or cable and 1 band and a flopper tip. Nothing could be better for red and mangrove snapper (around rigs) and dorado and tripletail (near weedlines).

Once you start shooting biggger fish (ajs and grouper and cobia) that bend your spears, move up to a riffe no ka oi. The railgun won't cost any more than the gulf magnum, it is easier to use, faster, quieter, and you'll keep using it on small fish and for lots of freediving applications even after you move up to the no ka oi. i still use my rabitech all the time when i am on scuba nearshore (in murkier water) looking for red snapper, and when i am freediving in bluer water for medium-sized dorado, rainbow runners, tripletail, blue runners, etc.

The gulf magnum just isnt the best gun for freediving applications. It is durable, and the break away tip is good for ajs and cobia, but it is noisy, slow, and has limited range. As a starter gun for scuba diving, it is ideal, but if you will be freediving too, it just isn't as versatile as the rabitech.

Even if you are on scuba all the time, you'll eventually want to move up from the jbl to a riffe anyway.

Look on spearboard for a discussion of rabitechs, and where to get one. The basic model, I think it is called the stealth, is a fantastic gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts