2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am afraid this question is going to get the same response as asking for GPS coordinates from an angler but here goes...

What rigs are good (or a waste of time) coming out of Port A or Packery?

A friend and I with extensive fishing experience and dive experience want to start spearfishing (for a change of pace) and would like to know which rigs to hit or avoid for sprearfishing.

Thank you,
SF

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was in Port A , last weekend, and had in mind also to go out to some rigs, I found it like pulling hens teeth to find a boat to get out there. Port A has always offered the best of sport fishing charters, but there seems to be no interest in accomodating divers. It appears to me unless you have your own offshore boat, you pretty much out of luck. The "Orion" was the only boat I found that routinely took out divers, and at $200 plus for a 3 tank dive , you can certainly go to Mexico cheaper. There is a definate window of opportunity here for a dive boat operator to do some business

Gary

·
dontremember
3,217 Posts
i'm a spearfisherman myself, but would be nervous as hell taking a boat load of divers i don't know spearfishing. even at a rig where you have visual reference. there's just too much opportunity for something to go wrong. current, powerful weapons, panic. great fun til someone's lost or hurt. fling and spree take dive charters out of freeport, but not spearing.

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
By this time of year most of the rigs 25nm and in have been hit pretty hard..you best bet is to go a little farther out..call me and I'll share some spots with you..pm sent Walker

·
Registered
77 Posts
Orion offers a good service by someone who actually cares about divers and is setup for it. 200 dollars is very fair when it comes to a ride out to the rigs with a good operation. Can't even go bayfishing in a skiff for 200 dollars a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts