2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Spear Master Spearfishing Tournament is going to be August 19th and 20th, 2006. The entry fee will be $65.00 and will include t-shirts, door prizes, dinner and adult beverages. For more information visit www.spear-master.com , please remember this site is always being updated so please refresh the page periodically. This is only my second tournament to host and hope to have at least 60 contestants. The more contestants the better the prizes! I will be putting my contact information on the webpage in the next day or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,147 Posts
after reading the rules - you need to make a clarification:

Rule 5 conflicts with 8, 13 & 14

if you are allowing 4 species, then is there 4 categories? Or are barracuda & ling considered 1 category? (that hardly seems fair)

in the event of a tie, earliest to weigh in should get the better place, not earliest to register, IMO

is there a freediving only division? or are they lumped in with scuba?

where is the weigh in? It should be in the rules.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

speckle-catcher said:
after reading the rules - you need to make a clarification:

Rule 5 conflicts with 8, 13 & 14

if you are allowing 4 species, then is there 4 categories? Or are barracuda & ling considered 1 category? (that hardly seems fair)

in the event of a tie, earliest to weigh in should get the better place, not earliest to register, IMO

is there a freediving only division? or are they lumped in with scuba?

where is the weigh in? It should be in the rules.
Thanks!
Your answer to question #1. Currently, we are grouping Barracuda and Ling in the same category. If we get enough contestants to enter tha\en we will seperate the 2. So we have 3 categories SNAPPER, BARRLING and Amber Jacks.

Your answer to question 2:
That is being considered and we will probably be making that change in the next day or two. At most of the Spearfishing tournaments (according to their rules) the freediving contestants are usually very few (1-3 divers). If we get enough interest I would definately add additional categories for freediving. The weigh in location is in the process of being changed. We have outgrown the original location (last years) and are planning to most likely use Galveston Yacht Club (in work). When we have added it I will let EVERYONE know and update the webpage accordingly.

We are hoping to have a turnout of over 60 spear fishermen and women. There are currently 27 people who have contacted me about entering. The prizes will get better the more people who enter. I am hoping for a Dive computer for 1st place in all 3 categories, a speargun for second places and a tank for third places (if all goes well). This will change upon amount of enteries as well as our sponsors. Plus, there will be doorprizes as well as shirts and a contestant package. The contents will depend on the amount of contestants. Please feel free to give more suggestions and recommendations. They will all be considered!
 

·
Team OMAB Prostaff
Joined
·
2,414 Posts
It's on!

Team Tailgunner is in. Put us down for three divers possibly four, that's Tailgunner with "1" L for the top team trophy :D, and go ahead and double the amount originally allotted for in your adult beverage order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm

Awesome, the more the better! We need more people in Texas and Lousiana like you guys! In the South we have a HUGE amount of hunters and fishermen. We have the 3rd largest diving population in the country and we have a VERY small amount of people who actually combine the three.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
registration is now up

The registration portion of the website is now up. The link to Paypal is being somewhat difficult..... I have have that up within the next day or two. Feel Free to register without it! I'll send you a reminder when it is working.
 

·
Team Tailgunner
Joined
·
95 Posts
Just a thought

Scubacraig, After seeing the results and talking with others at the Waldo's tournament the consensus was that the barracuda category should be removed. No one cares to eat them and all they do is take up space and burn up precious ice. So I guess my suggestion would be to have 3 category's being Ling, Snapper, & AJ. If anyone else agrees please second. But if you choose to leave cuda's in being it is your tournament I'm ok with that and will definitely be there. Thanks Jared
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Goin Deep said:
Scubacraig, After seeing the results and talking with others at the Waldo's tournament the consensus was that the barracuda category should be removed. No one cares to eat them and all they do is take up space and burn up precious ice. So I guess my suggestion would be to have 3 category's being Ling, Snapper, & AJ. If anyone else agrees please second. But if you choose to leave cuda's in being it is your tournament I'm ok with that and will definitely be there. Thanks Jared
That sounds like it is a good idea. I agree, most people don't eat them and we decided not to even shoot one for that exact reason. Let's take a concensus and see what everyone thinks. I also need everyone to register asap. I need to know what size shirts everyone wears and what kind of prizes I can give out based on the number of participants. I need an accurate head count asap.
Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
scubacraig said:
That sounds like it is a good idea. I agree, most people don't eat them and we decided not to even shoot one for that exact reason. Let's take a concensus and see what everyone thinks. I also need everyone to register asap. I need to know what size shirts everyone wears and what kind of prizes I can give out based on the number of participants. I need an accurate head count asap.
Thanks,
I don't mind eating them... but I can't stand smellin' them on my boat! :D
 

·
Loving Life!
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Mako

will_spear4food said:
I don't mind eating them... but I can't stand smellin' them on my boat! :D
Mako smells bad too, but I like eating them..

I should of made Ceviche on the boat, then my partner would not have gotten sick on store bought frozen brisket.

Looks like no one is going offshore this weekend not unless you don't mind bouncing around...looks like some high seas...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
No barracuda

I prefer to lose the barracuda all together. If enough people are interested in keeping a barracuda division I think it should be separate from the ling division.

The Tailgunners plan to be there! Any idea or thought of a rainout date? We understand your need for early registration but we are reluctant as we are all shift workers.

Thanks
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
More info and a few minor changes to the tournament...

1st - due to an overwheling request Barracuda will be removed from the tournament. Ling will still be an eligable fish. If anyone has a complaint we can always make it it's own category (good idea everyone)!

2nd - The location of the tournament has moved to Teakwood Marina on Tiki Island. This is due to many reasons and if you would like to have a good longggg answer you can email me at [email protected] or PM me. (see the link on the web when I updat it)

3rd - How does this sound? The rainout dates will be the weekend following the tournament (August 26th and 27th). If that doesn't make it then the 3rd rainout date will be September 9th and 10th. If this works for most people we will stick with these dates.

4th - The t-shirts are being sent to the screen prInters at the beginning of next week I am getting a few Mediums printed, a bunch of Large, a bunch if XL's and a couple of 2XL's. If you want to garrantee your size make sure to fill it out on your registration form.

Finally - We will be having someone cook up burgers and hotdogs for the meal along with chips and all of the fixings. The beer still hasn't been decided on, MILLER LITE or BUD LITE????? This is the big question!!!! I've collected a bunch of the door prizes and the main prizes are directly dependant on the number of registrations we have. I prEdict about 10 boats with 40 (AT LEAST)or so people total. If we have that many contestants the prizes (in each category)will probably be:

1st- Speargun (JBL gulf magnum)
2nd- Citizen dive watch
3rd- Aluminum 80 tank

The more registered contestants the better the door prizes.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top