2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the post about the Stradic reminded me to ask. I have a Curado 200 SF which has a loud rubbing noise when I'm retrieving line. Noticably louder with a fish on or heavier artificial. This started a couple months back so I cleaned it thoroughly thinking I had a dirty bearing but it remained. Does this sound like one of the spool bearings needs replaced?

Bob

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike -- now to find it. :D
No noise when casting. Using mono -- Trilene Big Game 12lb.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
It sounds like the pinion support bearing to me. Remove the spool and you will see a small silver retainer surrounding the pinion gear opening. Remove the two small Phillips head srews and you will have access to the bearing.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Mike. Pulled out my drawing and think I've found the bearing you're talking about. Is it part number 2170 -- Ball Bearing? I do know I removed and cleaned that one as I needed a much larger dowel to hold/spin it with. Next time up toward FTU I can get one.
I can see where pressure on the spool would cause the grinding/rubbing there.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I'll give a shot at cleaning again but I think it's replacement time.

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,630 Posts
"I'll give a shot at cleaning again but I think it's replacement time."

Yep, once that one starts making noise, it is usually only fixed by replacement. Since it is in the frame, it really resonates and makes a lot of noise.

Mike

·
Registered
664 Posts
I dropped my spool the other day while cleaning, and now have a slightly out of round spool, therefore causing a very annoying rubbing noise. Just a thought. Reel is retired till i get a new spool.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike, and all. Thanks for the advice on the pinion bearing. Finally got around to replacing it last week and that was the ticket. Nice and quiet Saturday dealing with spanish macs on every cast. ;)
Along with cleaning the drag washer and applying liberal amounts of Shimano drag grease the reel is back like new.

Thanks a million for the advice!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts