2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there is an explanation for this, but I was just curious. Why is it that all fishing licenses expire on Aug 31st? Seems like they SHOULD be good for a year from the time you purchase it. Like, if you buy it in say....January, it expires in about 8 months. What's the deal?

·
Tight Lines to All!!!
308 Posts
You can actually buy just a fishing license that is good one year from the date of purchase, just not a hunting license. You also have to find someone that knows how to run the license machine to get it. Hope this helps, they are available.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I don't know why they changed back, but in the '70s Texas did go to an annual (12 months from date of purchase) license. I moved to Mississippi, and sometime while I was gone, they changed back to the September 1 to August 31 license we have today. Somehow, there's got to be more money in it for them. Same reason that back in those days, a Tx resident could buy a Louisiana resident fishing license for $4, and now we have to buy a $100 nonresident license. Unfortunately these states figure out every way they can to take advantage of the sportsmen.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think the Sept 1 - Aug 31 license date has to do with the hunting seasons. Particularly deer tags. If you were to do a calandar year one I guess you could just limit the tags and the hunter would get 2/3 news ones on Jan. 31. It seems like my hunting year starts with dove season in South Texas anyway, so the new tradition has become getting all the dove gear before the first two weekends in Sept. and getting the new license at that time anyway.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
tp&w found that they had a hard time budgeting with the license sold for 12 months from date of purchase. They went back to the september renewal so they could handle their finances better. Unfortunately they don't have an open checkbook like some other government programs that I won't mention here.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I thought about that, but if it was a budgeting issue, they would just start in Jan and or the other fiscal year which happens to be Sept. But it doesn't make sense that the date is Sept 1 for fiscal year purposes because licenses are sold/bought year round. Not everyone buys their license prior to Sept 1 so they can't fix their budget around that.

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
For some strange reason I always look forward to the end of August and buying a new license. When I was a kid I thought it was neat to have to sign all the tags even though I never used one. It has been fun taking my kids to get their first license after they turn 17. Three down. Two to go. Kind of like a rite of passage to adulthood for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts