2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
two of my favorites
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with after-market spark plug wires. My evinrude dealer wants $13.00 each for 6 wires for my 1999 FICHT. Are there any equivalent after-market wires out there?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Laguna, Try this site. I've bought several parts for my Evinrude 60 here and have not had any problems. DJ

http://www.boatmotors.com/parts/

Laguna Freak said:
Does anyone have experience with after-market spark plug wires. My evinrude dealer wants $13.00 each for 6 wires for my 1999 FICHT. Are there any equivalent after-market wires out there?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
how long did the original last , that is how long the new one will last , after market is cheaper for a reason . when you put after market like autzone parts on a mercedez , you are no longer driving a nice car , you are driving an autzone car so dont expect it to last a long time.

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
Automotive plug wires are not the same as Marine plug wires. Auto has a specific amount of resistance per foot. Marine has no resistance per foot. Be glad it's not an airplane.

·
two of my favorites
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plug Wires

CaptPb said:
Automotive plug wires are not the same as Marine plug wires. Auto has a specific amount of resistance per foot. Marine has no resistance per foot. Be glad it's not an airplane.
My repair manual states the FICHT plug wires should have resistance @ 7000 OHMS per ft.

Any ideas on where to find good after-market wires?

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
Sierra maybe? But why are you needing plug wires? Did one or all not show good readings on an Ohm meter? Did you use the correct algebraic formula for calculating resistance with a shorter piece of wire than one foot? Don't ask me what it is though, I haven't the foggiest.
As for after market, I agree with what has been said. It's best to stick with OEM products. Especialy ignition parts. Generaly the only after-market parts worth buying are of Race/Offroad applications. And the best ones cost more than the OEM. This applies for both the marine and automotive engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts