2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made it down to my LaSalle county ranch this afternoon in time to hunt. The bucks are interested in the does and are popping out of the woodwork. I finally found a deer that I had caught earlier in the year on a game camera. He is a hoss but looks to be only 5.5 years old. I also saw the deer I had planned on shooting but one of his brow tines is broken. I'll probably give him another year. At least three bucks seen this afternoon are in the 160's.

This has been one of the slowest years for deer movement that I have seen in some time. This afternoon has been the best hunt of the year. Big bucks were on the move everywhere. Looks like the rut is right on schedule and in about a week it should be hot and heavy. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow but I have an at&t wireless card and uploading a picture could take several weeks with the slow service. If you are hunting South Texas now is the time that we all dream about. The weather couldn't be better. Good luck everybody.

·
Frustrated Fisherman
672 Posts
Great news, taking a couple of partners in my firm hunting for their first buck South East of Dilley. Timing is everything.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My plan is to be in my blind by 5:30 am on Saturday.... might even be hunting in the snow for the first time of my life! Ranch is in Duval Co.
I'm looking for a spike or cull, but if a big boy comes out, it might be time to take him...
Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good luck to all yall I will be in the stand this evening at 3 and hopefully a a good buck comes out this weather should have them active!!!!

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
It is crazy!! during bow season we were scared that the deer had died off from the drought because we were seeing notta.. but like you said they are coming out now and the next three weeks are gonna be fun..Walker

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Heading down in the morning & am PUMPED!!! I've already killed (178-1/2") in October but am ready to start clanking the horns together to see what pops out. I love the rut, it's what I dream about all year.

Called down there today & some bucks ARE starting to poke their heads out of the brush but not real aggressive, like in full rut. I am taking off two weeks around Christmas though..

·
Registered
543 Posts
I made it down to my LaSalle county ranch this afternoon in time to hunt. The bucks are interested in the does and are popping out of the woodwork. I finally found a deer that I had caught earlier in the year on a game camera. He is a hoss but looks to be only 5.5 years old. I also saw the deer I had planned on shooting but one of his brow tines is broken. I'll probably give him another year. At least three bucks seen this afternoon are in the 160's.

This has been one of the slowest years for deer movement that I have seen in some time. This afternoon has been the best hunt of the year. Big bucks were on the move everywhere. Looks like the rut is right on schedule and in about a week it should be hot and heavy. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow but I have an at&t wireless card and uploading a picture could take several weeks with the slow service. If you are hunting South Texas now is the time that we all dream about. The weather couldn't be better. Good luck everybody.
Great news, will be in Zavala county for evening hunt tomorrow and Saturday then to Jim Wells county Sunday and Monday.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I will be headed to La Pryor tomorrow... I too hear the pre-rut is rocking and rolling... deer are on the move for the first few doe...

BTW, boatlift, it is completely unacceptable to reference such an animal without posting pics....

I've already killed (178-1/2") in October .

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I will be headed to La Pryor tomorrow... I too hear the pre-rut is rocking and rolling... deer are on the move for the first few doe...

BTW, boatlift, it is completely unacceptable to reference such an animal without posting pics....
I'm sure everyone has seen the buck, I posted the heck out of it in October. In fact my brother was doing play by play on 2cool as the hunt was going on.. Here ya go, like I said I'm sure you guys have already seen him from October postings so don't jump on me for overposting him (I am dang proud of him)..

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
That bad boy would have been on my hood on the way home and hell i still might have him on my truck now if i shot something like that. What did he score? and where abouts did you get that booger at?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
They are starting to get busy here in south Uvalde county as well. Seeing some of the bigger boys on the move after the girls.

·
Registered
128 Posts
TRYING HARD TO GET TO FOWLERTON BUT THE ICE MAY STOP US TONIGHT ? SURE WONT MISS NEXT WEEKEND IT SHOULD BE ON ! M16 I KNOW WE HAVE CHATTED ABOUT WHERE YOUR PLACE IS BUT I CANT REMEMBER ? WE ARE BETWEEN CAMERON & SAN ANTONIO. WE HAVE SOME JUMBOS SHOW UP ON CAMERA BUT LIMITED SIGHTINGS... WE'LL SEE WHAT THIS WEATHER DOES ? GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Well, I made it to my blind a good 40 minutes before daylight. BUT, walking to my blind it was quite evident that I probably wouldn't see much, as it almost looked like daylight in the bright moonlight. I ended up passing on a spike. That was it for the morning.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I hadnt seen him...Hes a GREAT deer!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can't Wait

I'm heading down to Jim Wells County On the 13th and coming back on the 23rd for Christmas...then heading back to the ranch on the 26th thru Jan. 3rd.......I cant wait!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts